Buckhaven Fishing Boat

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Mike Black

Buckhaven Fishing Boat

Post by Mike Black » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:20 pm

In tributes paid to my great grandfather Thomas Taylor (1846-1927) it is mentioned that he had been part owner of the boat Fisher Lass presumably fishing out of Buckhaven. At the time when herring were plentiful the fishing grounds stretched from Aberdeenshire to Tyneside. Latterly he was involved in line fishing in the Forth.
I have been trying to gather some information on the Fisher Lass but all I have found so far is that it was carvel built and open decked.
Can anyone suggest where I should look for further information

WilmaM

Re: Buckhaven Fishing Boat

Post by WilmaM » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:39 pm

You could try the Scottish Fisheries Museum at Anstruther http://www.scotfishmuseum.org/
They have an enquiry service too if you can't get to them.
Wilma

runmerry

Post by runmerry » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:34 pm

There's a boat "Fisher Lass" listed on http://www.fishingboatheritage.com/ with the registration KY 1411( Kirkaldy)
but not a lot of information about it, gives an owner for 1889 as James Stevenson and the port of Cellardyke.

Regards
Jen

Mike Black

Post by Mike Black » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:24 pm

Thanks for help and advice. I have contacted the Fisheries Museum and given what information I have, On the Fishing Boat Heritage website in the Kirkcaldy registrations, Fisher Lass appears twice. One entry is KY56 owned by Andrew Taylor and operating from Buckhaven. There were many Taylor families in Buckhaven and Thomas Taylor's father was Andrew Taylor (fisherman) so this may be the lead I am looking for.