Poorhouse look-up please?

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

ninatoo

Re: Poorhouse look-up please?

Post by ninatoo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Wondering if anyone was interested in filling the original query for this thread? I would be very grateful!
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

yogihughes

Post by yogihughes » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:53 pm

Sent you a PM ninatoo, I will have a go for you if you still want the info!

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:49 am

Hi yogihughes,

I haven't receive the PM. Would you like to try again please?

And [TS_welcome] :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

yogihughes

Post by yogihughes » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:20 am

Cannot understand why you never received my PM but never mind, just send me what you have on the person/s you are looking for and I will trawl the Mitchell records for you next Tuesday (busy Monday). It will help if you know where they were born and also any married names of husbands and nee female names.

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:28 am

Thank you so much for the offer to have a look for me Yogihughes!

I am looking for Marion May Allen born 1 May 1888 in Blackfriars District, Glasgow,to John Lang Allen, a brush manufacturer's clerk and Sarah Gordon. John Lang Allen was the son of William Allen and Margaret Lang and was born on 6 February in Glasgow. Sarah Gordon was the daughter of Patrick Gordon and Margaret Brady, and she was born on 12 June 1865 in Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, Ireland.

Sarah Gordon and John Lang Allen married 30 June 1886 at St Andrews Chapel, Blythswood.

Sarah, Marion's mother, died when Marion was nearly two. I can't find Marion on the 1891 Scottish census, or her father, and I can't trace her father after he re-married to Jessie Beinur Hunter Stanborough in 1892. I know Jessie re-married in 1899 to Jeremiah James Burns Smith. When she died in 1907 there was no mention of John Lang Allen on the registration, and no divorce stamp on her marriage to him either. She had also called herself a spinster on the 2nd marriage registration.

I hope that's enough to go on!

Thanks again,

Nina

yogihughes

Post by yogihughes » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:28 pm

Nina, I could find NO Allens that matched up to your request nor could I find any correct Gordons.
I did find however a reference to a Margaret Brady widow of Patrick Brady and I believe she is yours.
Do you have the info on her already or do you wish me to post what I transcribed?
John.

PS I found a reference to 1 Stanborough (Louisa) born in England.

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:26 pm

Hello Yogihughes,

Thanks for looking for Marion Allen and family for me. It's a pity there's nothing there as she is a bit of a mystery!

I have the information on Margaret Brady if the date of the application was 1904, kindly given to me by a poster here called Nelmit. That was a really important one, as it confirmed that there was a son called Hugh (who I had been trying to connect to) but also there was another son Thomas, who I knew nothing about).

I appreciate the time you have spent on searching on my behalf yogihughes! It was very kind of you!

Nina

yogihughes

Post by yogihughes » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:57 pm

I wish I had seen that other thread about Margaret Brady as I just transcribed the same info for you. Oh well!, it gave me more practice at reading the old writing.

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:14 am

Oh dear....so sorry about that! I feel like I ought to have said something about it now, but you are right, reading the old writing takes lots of practice! I transcribed a lot of records for the LDS a while ago (not much time now) and the more I did the better I got at it.

Thanks again!

yogihughes

Post by yogihughes » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:17 am

My fault really, I should have only looked for what you requested. BUT! Once I get started on these old books I tend to go off on a tangent and start looking for anything that remotely seems to fit. (I seem to get a "high" reading about people who lived in the 19th century and their "ups and downs" of that period.
As I said, it was good experience again for me.
PS worked with a Charlie Corr in the RAF at Leuchars, any connection?