Glasgow Poorhouse Applications - Multiple DG Lookup Requests

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

nelmit

Glasgow Poorhouse Applications - Multiple DG Lookup Requests

Post by nelmit » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:49 pm

H All,

First of all my apologies to the people here who have been very generous in their thanks for my help tracing their ancestors :D but I'm going to get on my soapbox. --------------------

I have visited The Mitchell Library many times, at my own expense and at weekends and holidays when I am not at work, to help lots of you find out more about your :? ancestors. It's something I 'enjoy'and find interesting and till now have had no qualms about the hours I spend transcribing the information.

Last week I met a lovely lady who does the same thing from another message board.
We discovered we had been asked to transcribe the same thing on more than one occasion. :shock:

If you have ever used your old, tired eyes to view and transcribe some of these records you will understand my indignation. :x It's the waste of my precious time that I find the most offensive.

I can understand submitting a request to more than one source and I will of course continue to help anybody I can but please can I ask that if you have posted a request on multiple message boards you say so then at least I can ask the archivist if that particular application has been recently viewed.

Right ah'm aff ma boax noo. :lol:

Kind regards,
Annette M

(Subject line edited to reflect better the content of this post - TS Admin.)

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:13 am

Hello Annette,

Its certainly understandable that you're upset over this and I for one don't blame you. Your message here can be a wake up call for members who post on multiple boards. Although I've never asked you for a look up, let me give you a big round of applause for all the time you donate to others...

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Regards
Marilyn
Dogs leave paw prints on your heart.
Maxine Morning b. 23 April 1998 d. 14 Nov. 2008
http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1718

wini

GLASGOW POOR HOUSE APPLICATIONS

Post by wini » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:51 am

Hi Annette

I know how frustrated you must feel.
I have never asked anyone to look up anything for me, as I know how precious time is and I always feel the Researchers must have enough of their own to attend to.
Maybe some day I will get sufficiently organised to ask for a LOOK UP
At present we are painting the house and I can barely find the computer.
Reading the Posts on TS is all that is keeping me sane.

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

Liz Turner
Global Moderator

Post by Liz Turner » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:07 pm

Hi Annette

You're entitled to a wee rant. I've never asked anyone to look up anything - the chances of me being that organised are remote ... I've been lucky a couple of times when I've posted queries on sites, someone has gone and checked up on something for me - and I appreciated it as much because it was so unexpected.

Don't be put off, because you come up with lots of good stuff.

Cheers.

Liz
Fife: Nicolson, Cornfoot, Walker, Gibson, Balsillie, Galt, Elder
NE Scot: Nicolson, Lindsay, Haliburton, Ross
Edin & Central: Nicolson, Blaikie, Stevenson, Ross, Hotchkiss, Suttie, Christie, Clelland, Gray, Purvis, Lang, Dickson
Ross & Cromarty: Ross

AnnieMack

Post by AnnieMack » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:00 pm

Hi Annette

Are you going to be at the Mitchell this Saturday morning? I am and would like to say hello. I am sure whenever I go there and to NRH that there are other TS members there but don't like to approach anybody in case they wonder who this mad woman is!

Annie x
Searching: Pow - Stirlingshire, Pender - Paisley, Gray - Alva, Paisley, Elderslie, Canning - Stirling, Morrison, Innes and Wilson - Glasgow to name a few!

www.dundeereptheatre.co.uk home to Scotland's only full time ensemble

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:45 am

AnnieMack wrote:Hi Annette

Are you going to be at the Mitchell this Saturday morning? I am and would like to say hello. I am sure whenever I go there and to NRH that there are other TS members there but don't like to approach anybody in case they wonder who this mad woman is!

Annie x
Sorry Annie I don't plan to be there but if I am I'll give you a shout.
Annette M

AnnieMack

Post by AnnieMack » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:19 pm

Ok I'll be the red head with the glazed expression!

Annie :lol:
Searching: Pow - Stirlingshire, Pender - Paisley, Gray - Alva, Paisley, Elderslie, Canning - Stirling, Morrison, Innes and Wilson - Glasgow to name a few!

www.dundeereptheatre.co.uk home to Scotland's only full time ensemble

mallog

Post by mallog » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:02 am

This thread reminds me of folk who get others to sew or knit something for them and fail to appreciate the time and effort involved. I don't like asking for a look-up as I know how precious time is at archives.
Anderson, McAlpine, Blue - Argyll
Dunn Fife /ML
Coutts, McGregor - Perth/Govan
Glen, Crow, Imrie - Angus
Scott & Pick ML
Mason - Co Down

nelmit

Mitchell look ups

Post by nelmit » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:37 pm

Hi All,

Please don't let my wee rant stop you from posting requests or queries about The Mitchell.

As I said it's the multiple requests which are annoying but I can check if somebody has looked before me if I know in advance.

I feel I (amongst others) have access to a wonderful resource and if I can help anyone find out more about their ancestors then I am more than happy to do so when I get the time. :D

Kind regards,
Annette M