An Insignificant Life

Stories and Poems by our members.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Seonaid

An Insignificant Life

Post by Seonaid » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:42 am

I wrote this a short time ago about my ancestors. It's not exactly the same style of writing that I see here but I'm not very good at that type. Anyway, here it is and it's as factual as I can make it with the info I have.

An Insignificant Life

People often ask themselves during their lifetimes, "Why was I born? What is my purpose? What have I ever done that has made a difference in this world?" And the answer is usually, "Nothing." At least, nothing that you know about.

Sometimes people end their lives prematurely because they believe that they are worthless. The drudgery of waking every morning, going to work all day, then coming home to sleep just to wake up and repeat the process can get anyone down. But I beg them to persevere and consider the following true story:

There once was a man born, who in most peoples eyes of the times, they would not have thought much about. He went about his daily tasks providing for his family and trying to avoid the strife of his country, if possible. He was friendly with his neighbors and a God-fearing man. Nothing significant in history, just another local farmer to flesh out the countryside.
One day he was working in his field when he heard a commotion on a nearby road. He went to investigate and found Princess Marjory (the young wife of Sir Walter Stewart) lying on the side of the road, surrounded by her entourage. She had been thrown from her horse and, being heavily pregnant, had gone into premature labour.
This country fellow boldly delivered the child by Caesarian section at the roadside (the first authentic record of such an operation being performed since the birth of Julius Caesar). The Princess died within a few hours after the birth on 2 March 1316. Her last words were, “He’s a laddie; I ken he’s a laddie; he will be king.” This child was Robert II, the first Stewart to become a king and my great grandfather.
What this man did by this one act on his part was most likely the only significant thing he ever did in his lifetime. We don’t even see his name mentioned in history. But if he had not been nearby on that fateful day then I would not be here today.
My ancestry that links to Robert The Bruce goes from King Robert II to Princess Marjory Bruce to Isabella of Mar. Isabella was the first wife of King Robert and they had only one child, Marjory. Likewise, Marjory had only one child which was King Robert II. So by that one act this unknown man not only made my life possible, but also preserved the royal Scottish bloodline which eventually joined with the English monarchy up through today.
So, although he may have believed that his life made no difference at that time, I am here today writing this story because he happened to be in his field on that fateful day. I wish I could thank him, but since that is impossible, I write this story so that he won’t be forgotten. His life had purpose even though he may never have been aware of it.
So consider my words when you ask yourself, “Why am I here?” [star]
20th Great-Granddaughter of Robert The Bruce!

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:12 pm

Lovely story & although I cannot claim such illustrious ancestry I do believe that everybody has a mission & reason for life.
I would not be here if it were not for WW1 when my paternal Grandparents met brought together by the vagaries of War.If my Granny's big brother had not sickened & died as a small boy then the family would have joined the rest of the Mckimmie clan in Niagara.
If Hugh Kerr's wife had not died he would have likely stayed in Ireland & never came to Scotland with his six Motherless children including my GGGreatGrandmother Ellen Kerr.
If Ann Graham had not died of Typhus & her widower Alexander Waddell had not followed five short years later then perhaps my family would not share the closeness it does.
We might feel like insignificant in the scheme of things but I'm with the belief that not a Sparrow falls that is not measured & noted.
We are all special & make up the whole.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

Seonaid

Post by Seonaid » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:30 am

Thank you for your kind words. I have always believed that "you can't throw a bomb in a junkyard and come out with a 747"! :lol:
I love genealogy. Everybody has a story. It's like a giant puzzle and I get such joy when I find a connecting piece. History is my second love so I'm pretty much in heaven when I'm researching. I'm off to France and Ireland next (my grandparents were the high kings in Leinster and Kilkenny area). But right now I'm studying the Brus line that came from Brix, Normandy. I read that some Vikings settled around there and I'm wondering if the Brus' might link to them there.
But I'm off topic again...here's wishing you luck in your research.

[-o<
20th Great-Granddaughter of Robert The Bruce!