Occupation - Blockmaker.....

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

CatherineM

Post by CatherineM » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:02 pm

Many ancestors’ trades were in construction - joiner, cabinet maker, shipwright, house painter. Amidst those occupations, there is one blockmaker [his marriage record -1827] and who was described on son’s marriage record [1859] as blockmaker & joiner.
In my notes I am describing, for other family members, the meaning of the various occupations. I am not sure how to describe a blockmaker. Definitions I have found are - Blockmaker: a trader or broker and Blockmaker: one who engraved the blocks used in printing.
Having been involved in the construction industry all of my life, my first thought was a blockmaker was perhaps a carpenter who made the “blocks” for the cradles in the shipyard that held the ships under construction on the Clyde, or perhaps made the “blocks” for the block and tackle assemblies. Neither of the two definitions that I found makes any sense to me as they relate to construction. I have checked all the sites I know for old occupations.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Many thanks,
Catherine

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:15 pm

http://www.scotroots.com/occupations.htm has:

Bleacher : Mill worker who whitened textiles, or paper
Blockcutter : Person who hand-carves wooden blocks used for printing
Blockmaker : A trader or broker
Blockprinter : Person who prints on paper or cloth with carved wooden blocks
Bobbin turner : Maker of wooden bobbins and spools for textile mills
Wilma

CatherineM

Post by CatherineM » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:20 pm

Thanks for the quick response, I do use that site and did see the trader or broker but am not sure how it relates, if at all, to what I may be trying to convert to a construction trade?
Catherine

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:48 pm

I wasn't too sure about that trader meaning either , that's why I included the ones either side.

A couple of other meanings:
Block Cutter / Blocker 1) Made wooden blocks for hat making 2) Laid the blocks for laying of a ship's keel in shipbuilding

Block Maker 1) Engraved or set up the blocks used in block printing 2)Made pulley blocks

Block Printer Printed paper or fabrics by the use of inked and carved or engraved wooden blocks.

Do any of those sound more likely ?
Wilma

CatherineM

Post by CatherineM » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:10 pm

Tah Dah!! I'll take 2) Laid the blocks for laying of a ship's keel in shipbuilding and/or 2)Made pulley blocks.
Those are the kinds of things that I “wanted” him to do. I don’t know where you found all those choices, but I surely do appreciate your effort. Now I will have all of them in a row and I won’t have had to use my imagination or stretch the facts either.

Once again, many thanks
Catherine

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:03 pm

Sorry I forgot to put in the source:

http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/b.html

I'd never discovered it before but looks as if it contains a wealth of information for UK geneology.
Wilma

juliet22

Re: Occupation - Blockmaker.....

Post by juliet22 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:08 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering myself about what a blockmaker was, as it was attached to an ancestor that was always previously described as a millwright. Then I found this https://fineartamerica.com/art/millwright

So it seems that blockmakers are also connected to millwrights.

Juliet

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:50 pm

Hello Juliet, and Welcome to TalkingScot.

If the Blockmaker was from an area anywhere near a ship building operation then the blocks would undoubtedly refer to those of the block and tackle variety.

According to the “Chimney Corner Companion", 1827, the Royal Navy required nearly half a million, to be renewed every three or four years. That’s not to mention the merchant fleet, and everything else with a sail. https://www.google.com.au/books/edition ... frontcover

Love those pictures in the link you posted. In the one of the Block Maker you can see the unfinished ship’s blocks scattered about behind him.

Elgin Courier, Friday, June 11, 1847
AN APPRENTICE WANTED
To the Blockmaking Business.
Also,
A JOURNEYMAN MILLWRIGHT.
Apply to Andrew Duncan, Garmouth.
Garmouth, 10th June, 1847.

All the best,
Alan

runmerry

Post by runmerry » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:27 am

Just as a matter of interest and to continue the shipbuilding theme the Duncan family
were one of the shipbuilders in Garmouth in the 19th century. There is an Andrew Duncan
Blockmaker & Ironfounder on file in http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

Regards
Jenny