National Assistance Act Funerals

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

WilmaM

National Assistance Act Funerals

Post by WilmaM » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:57 pm

I was searching through Renfrewshire Council's cemetery information pages yesterday and came across this section on National Assisted Funerals.
The modern [and much more dignified] version of a Paupers' Funeral.
http://renfrewshire.gov.uk/NationalAssi ... ctFunerals

What interested me, was the link at the top right of the page to a related document, which lists all the funerals the council have carried out under this Act.
It gives names, ages etc since 2014.

I looked at my own council's section [Falkirk] and they just give the numbers of such funerals , but no individual details.
Inverclyde give a few more details under Public Health Funerals, but no names.
Fife also give a lot of personal information about the deceased.

I haven't searched all the Scottish councils but there seems to be a wide range of information under these sections.

Not sure just how much this may help in genealogy at present, but it's certainly interesting!
Wilma

carolineasb

Re: National Assistance Act Funerals

Post by carolineasb » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:07 am

Just had a look at that list, and, in a way, feel as if it is quite inappropriate and the information given must surely be against GDPR (I know that that is not regulated for deceased persons but this information may make connections with living people in the deceased's family?)? After all, you can't just log into Scotland's People and get up to date death entries right away. I can see that information has to be given on the lists for Ultimus Haeres at QLTR but this list just seems wrong to me :(

Elwyn 1

Re: National Assistance Act Funerals

Post by Elwyn 1 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:01 pm

carolineasb wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:07 am
Just had a look at that list, and, in a way, feel as if it is quite inappropriate and the information given must surely be against GDPR (I know that that is not regulated for deceased persons but this information may make connections with living people in the deceased's family?)? After all, you can't just log into Scotland's People and get up to date death entries right away. I can see that information has to be given on the lists for Ultimus Haeres at QLTR but this list just seems wrong to me :(
Apart from the cost of the funeral, as far as I can see, all the information in the funeral lists would be on the death certificate which is readily available to the public. Admittedly you have to send off for it, but it is fully in the public domain. Or if you searched a newspaper site you would frequently find a death notice with much the same information. I don’t see anything that jumps out at me as breaching GDPR.
Elwyn