Definition of Mother in Law? .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

Moonwatcher

Definition of Mother in Law? .....

Post by Moonwatcher » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:19 pm

Hi there.

Here’s one that’s been puzzling me for a long time. In the 1891 Census of my family the last occupant of the household is given as;

Margret Kelly 60 Mother in Law Farm Worker.

Now, the family name is Wilson with the female line having the names McKinney and Butler. So where did the name Kelly come from? Despite much searching and investigation over the past two years I can find no reference or connection whatever between my family and a Margret Kelly. Is it possible the term ‘Mother in Law’ meant something different in those days – perhaps an honorary title bestowed on a close friend perhaps?

Cheers

Bob.

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:33 pm

Hi Bob

Is it possible she could have been married twice thereby taking on the name Kelly? Just a thought.

Annette
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

Moonwatcher

Post by Moonwatcher » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:39 pm

Hi Annette

Well, that's what I thought as well, but I cant find any reference to a marriage or even a death that matches up. I'm obviously missing something.

Bob

HK

Post by HK » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:46 pm

Had me worried there with your title.Definition of a Mother-in-law.Although I have a unique perspective on the topic I wouldn't want to be the one to open that kettle of fish.
:lol: HK

Moonwatcher

Post by Moonwatcher » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:51 pm

Hi Heather

Yeah! Now that I look at it again it wasn't a great choice of title... then again :twisted:

Bob.

HK

Post by HK » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:57 pm

Your a brave ,brave laddie Moonwatcher.Either your in-law has passed on or lives far enough away.Or maybe you've got one of the good ones. :)
HK

Moonwatcher

Post by Moonwatcher » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:48 pm

Heather

No Yes No

Bob.

HK

Post by HK » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:04 pm

Same here.Can yours access the net?Mine can. :cry:
HK

Moonwatcher

Post by Moonwatcher » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:08 pm

HeatherK

I bliddy well hope no!!

Bob.

HK

Post by HK » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:14 pm

That's why we live in Nova Scotia (had to retype that 3x ,it's like checking your zip is up.)We're close enough to visit ,far enough that it's not to often.My husband on the other hand has a fantastic Mum-in-law.Makes him mince pies and dumplings.Boy did he miss her when he went to boot camp.(Silly me thought it was me and the bairn.) :D HK