ROBRT JOHN REID 1911 CENSUS

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

jjlmary312

ROBRT JOHN REID 1911 CENSUS

Post by jjlmary312 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi,
I am trying to trace my great grand father Robert John Reid who is in 1911 census in Burnbank, Hamiton, Scotland. He was 57 in that census. He had 4 children Isabella 22, Robert John Reid (Jnr 20, Mary Reid 18 my gran mother and William Reid 14. I am trying to trace were Robert John Reid was in the 1901 census and when did he die and location and date of death. I am no information on Isabella and William Reid. I should be interested to know place of birth and date of birth and any information on their mother. I am hoping someone can help. Tried Scotlands people and not getting far except using credits up. Robert John Reid married in 1887 in Blythwood, Glasgow to Mary McNicol. Where and when did the mother died.

Montrose Budie

Re: ROBRT JOHN REID 1911 CENSUS

Post by Montrose Budie » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:27 pm

jjlmary312 wrote:Hi,
I am trying to trace my great grand father Robert John Reid who is in 1911 census in Burnbank, Hamiton, Scotland. He was 57 in that census. He had 4 children Isabella 22, Robert John Reid (Jnr 20, Mary Reid 18 my gran mother and William Reid 14. I am trying to trace were Robert John Reid was in the 1901 census and when did he die and location and date of death. I am no information on Isabella and William Reid. I should be interested to know place of birth and date of birth and any information on their mother. I am hoping someone can help. Tried Scotlands people and not getting far except using credits up. Robert John Reid married in 1887 in Blythwood, Glasgow to Mary McNicol. Where and when did the mother died.
The surname REID doesn't make life easier, but the middle name helps.

To find his death on ScotlandsPeople, enter his full name, and estimated year of birth, and there's only one match, in Glasgow, at quite a decent age.

His wife Mary survived him by nearly a decade.

Interestingly, the 1887 marriage was a Marriage by Declaration.

The 1901 census entry for Robert John REID is straightforward to locate.

The death of the mother of Robert John REID is easy to locate using the cross-check search.

His father's death is a different matter. From looking at various censuses all that I can say is that he died between two censuses, i.e. in a certain 10 year period.

mb

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Looks like they were living at some kind of hostel in 1901 (but no Mary). If you look at the Header Page on the original at SP it will tell you the name of the establishment. The original will also tell you if Robert was widowed although with the info from mb it doesn't look as though he was.

Name: Robert Reid
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855
Relationship: Resident
Where born: Rutherglen
Registration number: 644/5
Registration district: Blackfriars
Civil parish: Glasgow St Andrew
County: Lanarkshire
Address: 15 St Andrew Street Glasgow
ED: Family Home

Robert Reid 46 born Rutherglen, Car Conductor
Isabella Reid 12 born Alexandria, Dumbartonshire
Robert I Reid 10 born Hamilton
Mary Reid 8 born Hamilton
William Reid 4 born Kelvinside

Regards,
Annette

jjlmary312

Post by jjlmary312 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi,

Thanks for this information. How have you found the birth record of Robert John Reid in Rutherglen. I have put in 1855 and the county Lanark and the district Rutherglen. Typed in the year 1855 and nothing is coming up for Rutherglen and the address you have given me.

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:18 am

Robert was born in 1854 - before statutory records began. You have to search the oprs for his birth. All this will tell you are his parents names which you will already know from his marriage entry.

Here he is in 1861 at Chapel Street Rutherglen -

John Reid 32 born Busby, Calico Printer
Janet Reid 30 born Glasgow
Jane Reid 9
Robert J Reid 7 born Rutherglen
Janet A Reid 5
Elizabeth S Reid 2
James A Reid 3 Mo

Does it say he was born at Rutherglen in the 1911 census?

Regards,
Annette

Jenl

Post by Jenl » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:36 pm

Hi, I wonder if anyone could help me. I was able to open my grandfathers adoption record yesterday. It stated his mothers details. Elsie Johnston who lived at 15 St. Andrews drive Glasgow. My grandfather was given to the Salvation Army when he was 3 months old. No one was able to reach Elsie again to sign the official adoption permission so my grandfather didn’t end up getting adopted until he was 20 when he signed it his self. There was no date of birth or any other address. I would love to find out more details and as the address is the same as the one mentioned in the other post I wondered if anyone could help me find details of her living there. I have no idea if she was a young girl or maybe a married women. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks 😃

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:46 pm

Hello Jeni and welcome,

When was your grandfather born and, not sure it would help but, what was his name.

Regards,
Annette.

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:28 pm

You can check the valuation rolls ( up to 1940) to see who was living at that address ( it would only be the name of the owner of the building and or the tenant's name, not all the occupants).
Bear in mind though, that it may well have been a tenement building with perhaps 6, 8 or more separate dwelling houses with the same street number.
The current buildings are 1970s vintage, though being redeveloped AGAIN ! So may not exist at present.
I don't currently have access to old maps, so can't pinpoint the address exactly, but there are also some 'big houses' in that area, some of whom were owned by doctors and were used as nursing homes, maternity homes and children's homes. So it might not be her family address that was given. Look on NLS maps for yourself to see, St Andrews Drive is on the south west of the city.
Giving us a time scale and name to work with may help too.

Elsie, can be a shortened form of Elizabeth or Elisabeth .
Wilma

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:57 pm

On this 1950s OS map, 15 St Andrew's Drive looks like a fairly large detached house.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/130372840
>> close to the right-hand edge
>> not far above the centre line

All the best,

AndrewP

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:15 pm

Yes it seems to have been an 'Alexander Greek Thomson' building called Lincoln Villa, sadly demolished. https://pollokshieldsheritage.co.uk/architects.html
Replaced by a block of multi storey flats :(

It will depend very much on the time scale of his birth which was her address - the mansion or the maisonette.

I can't find any more references to Lincoln Villa, so doubt it's been a maternity home .

JenL if you can give us the birth year it may help us narrow things down for you.
Wilma