corrected entry on birth cert

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

douglas

corrected entry on birth cert

Post by douglas » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:32 pm

I have an illegitimate birth for Lena Beatrice Annie Dewar. The date of birth was 22/12/1896 but it was only registered on 19/3/1897. The mother was Helen Jane Scott Dewar. No father.

The RCE states "For Lena Beatrice Annie substitute Ann Marion Davidson. The above alteration is made with the written authority of the Sheriff endorsed upon a certificate in the form of Schedule D under the hand of Rev Charles Maurice Short, Minister of Juniper Green". The date of the RCE is 26/11/1897.

In the 1901 census Ann Marion was known as Ann Marion Davidson and living with Archibald Davidson and his wife Ann. Ann Marion is shown as the daughter. in Ann Marion's marriage cert of 1921 she is shown as Ann Marion Davidson formerly Dewar. her mother is shown as Helen Jane Scott Dewar. No father.

It seems strange that the registration of the birth was 3 months after the birth. Also, the change of name almost 1 year after the birth. What would have involved the minister and Sheriff to bring about the change of name?

Has anyone else experienced such a change of name?
Hope, McLauchlen, Brown: (Peebleshire) Campbell : (Dunbartonshire) Tait: (Berwickshire)
Callan: (Lanarkshire) Davidson, Close, Murdoch: (Edinburgh) Penman (Midlothian)
Wilson (Glasgow/Midlothian)

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: corrected entry on birth cert

Post by AndrewP » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:41 pm

Hi Douglas,

The only additional information that I can offer is the Schedule D was used where the registered name was changed following baptism under another name. See the following article in the "TalkingScot Library".

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11350

What that doesn't answer is why there was three months between the birth and the birth registration. I have no offering for that.

All the best,

AndrewP

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:03 am

I wondered if her mother would give you a clue.

Helen Jane Scott Dewar died aged 80 and married Archibald Hay in 1901.
I would have thought that the little girl was adopted by the Davidsons and they organised a name change.
Wilma

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:22 am

You could look into the Kirk Session Minutes (sadly not online) - that is where I have found most of Father's names and it might explain the 3 months delay. Maybe Jane didn't want to register her until the Father admitted paternity?
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer

douglas

Post by douglas » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:57 pm

Thanks everyone for the information. Next stop is to view Kirk Sessions Minutes when I'm up in Edinburgh next.

re Schedule D. Does anyone know whether the original docs are held anywhere?
Hope, McLauchlen, Brown: (Peebleshire) Campbell : (Dunbartonshire) Tait: (Berwickshire)
Callan: (Lanarkshire) Davidson, Close, Murdoch: (Edinburgh) Penman (Midlothian)
Wilson (Glasgow/Midlothian)

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:01 pm

I have never heard of anyone seeing the original Schedule D (or similar) document.

If the document still exists, it would be worth asking the ScotlandsPeople Centre if they hold these. Failing that, the National Records of Scotland (previously the National Archives of Scotland) could hold these documents as they were presented to the sheriff as part of the court process leading to the entry in the Register of Corrected Entries (RCEs).

The wording in the RCE is normally quoting the text on the Schedule D (or similar). On that basis, if you saw the original Schedule D, you would probably not learn anything that is not given on the RCE. The form of words used in the schedule are laid down by The Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages Act (Scotland) 1854, as shown on the article in the TalkingScot Library that I referred to in my post above.

All the best,

AndrewP

carolineasb

Post by carolineasb » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:11 pm

There may be no connection, but I have just looked at the Scottish Indexes site (I only use it for hints and would never purchase their records as they are often found elsewhere and sometimes FOC) and there is a Paternity case between a Helen Jane Scott Dewar against a Louis Ange Duverge for a child born in 1890 and the case appears to have been extracted in 1892. This is a Decree in Edinburgh Sheriff Court. The Pursuer's name is not a particularly rare name but perhaps the configuration is? Also, there is no Process noted for the case but there cannot be an Extract Decree without a Process (chicken and egg :) ) Wonder if there would be any extra information about Helen if this is the same one? Difficulty is finding this child on SP though :( only one that seems to look as if it may be possible is Helen Maria Dewar 692/1 182 Leith North only because of the Maria middle name and the Defender looks to be French or Belgian?

carolineasb

Post by carolineasb » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:23 pm

Just another thought about the "Helen Maria", I see that the address given for Mum Helen is 3 Sunbury Street which appears to be close to Leith :) but that then means that there are a couple of other births in Leith North/South for 1890 :(