Death certificate

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Orlaith17

Death certificate

Post by Orlaith17 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:35 am

Hoping someone here might be able to help me untangle something. I have found a relative’s death certificate from 1945. She was a widow, and the informant was her sister. This sister had been listed on 1911 census as an “inmate” in Kilmalcom Dustrict (no institution name)and was described as being “feeble minded”. On the death certificate informant section, her surname used was not her maiden surname, suggesting she must have married. No marriage in Scotland. Her address was given as Appleton Lodge, Oxted. Written under her address, in place where it normally says “present”, is a word that looks like “enarami”. I haven’t seen this before. Anyone shed any light please?

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Death certificate

Post by AndrewP » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:06 am

The term inmate was often used to say that someone was living in another person's house. In modern terms in could equate to flatmate. Was there a head of the household shown on that census who was unrelated to your person? Was the household a normal looking household (head, wife etc), then inmate, rather than being an institution (with a list of inmates, preceded by a matron or the like)? What was the occupation of the head of the household?

Can you upload a scan of the "enerami" part of the document? The term (or similar) is not one that I recognise.

All the best,

AndrewP

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:26 pm

Thanks Andrew. I’m pretty sure it was some sort of institution Cecilia was in as she was also listed as “feeble minded”. It wasn’t the usual list of “head” and various other titles “son” , lodger” etc. Just a list of names. Here is the document section showing informants details.
A66F52B0-E6F9-4771-B537-AAB4A9E4D8F3.jpeg
A66F52B0-E6F9-4771-B537-AAB4A9E4D8F3.jpeg (133.2 KiB) Viewed 897 times

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:17 pm

“enerami” has some script missing. Given that this is a Scottish certificate and the informant lived in Oxted, could the word be “England”?
Elwyn

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:08 pm

Yes, that is a possibility I hadn’t thought of, thank you. Looking at it, entirely possible. What confused me is that in Scottish records, under the informant details it normally says “present”. I had thought that meant that the informant had come into the registry office in person to register the death. In this case, it doesn’t say “present” so I wondered how else she may have informed the death.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:54 am

I agree with Elwyn that the word is "England". There are a couple of dots of the tail of the "g", one on the line and one below.

I take "present" on many death certificates that the informant was presently living at the address of the deceased. In most death certificates if you look at all three entries on the page, there is either "present" or an alternative address for the informant. The column title is given as "Signature and Qualification of the Informant and Residence if out of the House in which the Death occurred".

See the image below. (1) died in hospital, registered by a family member (address given); (2) died in hospital, registered by a member of hospital staff; and (3) died at home, registered by someone of the same surname resident at the same address, but unrelated (I will guess son of the deceased's husband from his previous marriage).
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (39.54 KiB) Viewed 881 times
All the best,

Andrew P.

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:33 am

Thank you. That has cleared a couple of things up for me. FMP has also offered a few more clues into the bigger picture I’m trying to piece together.

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:05 am

There also seems to be some faint writing above the sister's surname , although that could be like Andrew's second example and be the surname written more clearly.
It could be worthwhile asking Scotland's people for a clearer scan of the page.
Wilma