Charles Edward Kidd's death

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:07 am

Bumping this to the top shamelessly to let those who were following the saga in on the next little snippet of this story.

With the free immigration records at Ancstry.com, I have been searching for all my known and suspected travellers, and I found a Charles E. Kidd, aged 26 sailing into New York in October 1896....with Mrs Kidd aged 21! :shock: So if this is them, Mary knew exactly where Charles was, and had in fact come home again before the 1900 census when Sarah found him!

Hmmm..and if that Mrs Kidd wasn't Mary, then maybe he ran away with someone, at least at the start. Oh I wish I had a time machine sometimes!

Below them in the manifest is a Thomas Kidd and his wife, but I can't find a connection to him as yet.

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

ninatoo

Re: Charles Edward Kidd's death

Post by ninatoo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:28 am

Bumping this again to link the two threads about Mary Carson, and the outcome...happy reading!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11211

Thanks again to all who assisted me in this search!

Nina

PS, I still haven't found Elizabeth Crombie Carson!
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:26 am

ninatoo wrote: PS, I still haven't found Elizabeth Crombie Carson!
Hi Nina,
Let's hope that the 1911 census will shed some light on her whereabouts, assuming she survived.

Regards,
Sarah

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:16 am

Let's hope so Sarah, because nothing jumps out at me at SP!

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi Nina,

Is this your lot in 1901 with Elizabeth Cormbie, age 1:

1901 Scotland Census
Name: Mary Carson
Estimated birth year: abt 1876
Relationship: Daur (Daughter)
Father's name: Thomas Carson
Mother's name: Elizabeth Carson
Where born: Irvine, Ayrshire
Registration Number: 595
Registration district: Irvine
Civil Parish: Irvine
Town: Irvine
County: Ayrshire
Address: 4 Cochrane St
ED: 8
Household schedule number: 90
Line: 15
Roll: CSSCT1901_225
Household Members: Name Age
Thomas Carson 48
Elizabeth Carson 47
Mary Carson 25
James Carson 24
Joseph Carson 25
Margret Carson 18
Agnes Carson 15
Elizabeth Cormbie 1
Patrick Hughes 22
Edward Elliot 42

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:01 am

Hi Carol,

Thanks for that...yes that's them, and it is where I found out about Elizabeth Crombie Carson. On this census they wrote that 1 year old Elizabeth was a jockey, haha! I think they meant to write the word next to the next named person who was a boarder.

Nina

Montrose Budie

Re:

Post by Montrose Budie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:49 pm

ninatoo wrote:.......much snipped................Was there a seven year law? The one that says if a husband has disappeared for that amount of time the marriage is dissolved? Perhaps the charge of bigamy was dropped, but since I can't find any mention of it anywhere I may never know. Unless the RCE's will tell me something! Nina

The was no number of years specified in law, but you will most frequently find that 7 years is used as the basis for the period that has to be waited before an application could be made to a court for presumption of death, given no contact in that period.

mb

Isabel H

Post by Isabel H » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:10 pm

This might be relevant. The Glasgow Herald of Friday, November 7, 1890 has an article about how Charles Kidd, of 10 Eglinton St, Irvine, a race horse owner and trainer, brought an action in the Court of Session against the stewards and secretary of the Dunfermline and West of Fife Race meeting, for compensation after his horse was fatally injured because of a broken fence. Could this be your Charles Kidd?

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:18 am

Hi Isabel,

Thanks for that...yes I found that article some time ago and had it stored in my files. I am sure it is him, given it is about horse racing, but I have not been able to find back-up proof that Charles Kidd was living in Irvine in 1891 in Scotland or for that matter in England or the US, so I am not sure where he was living then. He may well have been living in Irivne, because that is where Mary Carson was living. If it was him, he was a fairly gutsy 19 year old, to be taking the racing bodies to court!

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:59 am

H Nina,
You have probably seen this, but in 1891 the inhabitants of 10 Eglinton Street were John Napier, a retired groom and his grown children:

10 Eglinton Street, Irvine, Ayr
John Napier, 79, Head, born Atholstan Ford, Haddington, Retired Groom
George Napier, 37, Son, born Ayrshire, Kilwinning, Horse Trainer
Mary Napier, 43, Daur, born Kilwinning, Ayrshire
Eliza Napier, 41, Daur, born Kilwinning Ayrshire

So Charles could well have been staying with them, when he brought suit.
Not that this helps anything :roll:

Regards,
Sarah