Francis Edminston/Edmondston nee Rainham

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

joette
Global Moderator

Francis Edminston/Edmondston nee Rainham

Post by joette » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:02 am

Francis is the sister of William Rainham both born England.He gives Staffordshire in the 1871 Census she just England.
She is living in Abdie in Fife with her husband David Edminston who gives this as his home Parish.They were married in Argyll -Inverary&Glenaray in 1847.
1871 was a tragic year for the Rainham's of Castle Street Central District,Glasgow.Their youngest child John McCallum died followed on the 26th June by Rosann Rainham nee McGraw the Mother of Consumption.
The Father William dies on the 26th July of Cerebral Effusion caused by a fall downstairs.
I have searched for Francis's death in Scotland using Soundex,Wildcards etc but cannot find it or her on the 1881 Census in Scotland.The niece who was living with them in 1871 Mary Anne Marie Rainham is back in Glasgow but going with the name of Mary.
I am hoping that whoever registered Francis's death knew the maiden name of her Mother as William's son only gives Maria as his Granny's name!
If she moved back to England then I guess I will never know.
Rosann McGraw is a mystery too can't find her birth & her parents are omitted from her death & cannot as yet find a marriage for her & William or a birth for their eldest children & the birth places given on the Census are different to that on the IGI & Scotlands People!
Any connections to the above are also warmly welcomed to show themselves!
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:30 pm

I didn't view it but I'd place money this is her DC

1873 EDMESTON FRANCES RAINHAM F 54 ABDIE /FIFE 400/00 0008

Best wishes
Jean

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:51 pm

Joette,

Hopefully Jean's find will answer your question.

In case you haven't seen it here is Frances in 1841.

Piece: SCT1841/513 Place: Inveraray & Glenaray-Argyllshire Enumeration District: 1
Civil Parish: Inveraray Burgh Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island:
Folio: 1 Page: 28
Address: Main Street

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
RAINHAM Grace F 70 Independent Outside Census County (1841)
RAINHAM Frances F 20 England
WALLS Ann F 55 Argyllshire

regards,
Annette M

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:40 pm

Thanks so much for that could not find it because I was spelling first name
FRANCIS not Frances :oops:
I have never seen this before but her Doctor who certified her death has also registered the death.
Her Mother's name is there Mary Bonnill so I just need to work out who the Grace is that she was living with in the 1841 Census is.One of the girls of William/Rosann is named Grace so either an Aunt or Grandmother or maybe Mary Bonnill went by the name of Grace??
Thanks for that Annette & Jean.I thought I had cracked the wildcards too!

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:07 pm

joette wrote:Thanks so much for that could not find it because I was spelling first name
FRANCIS not Frances :oops:
I have never seen this before but her Doctor who certified her death has also registered the death.
Her Mother's name is there Mary Bonnill so I just need to work out who the Grace is that she was living with in the 1841 Census is.One of the girls of William/Rosann is named Grace so either an Aunt or Grandmother or maybe Mary Bonnill went by the name of Grace??
Thanks for that Annette & Jean.I thought I had cracked the wildcards too!
Hi Joette,

Haven't a clue when it comes to English records but there is a death index of a Mary Rainham in Stafford, 1869 on FREE BMD.

Regards,
Annette M

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:19 pm

That's encouraging I am a novice at the English records too but the Rainhams seem to have originated in Inveraray with John Rainham & Grace Wells or McCalls-two different names on Marriage & birth of Timothy in 1790 again in Inveraray.Then he travels to Stafford & Birmingham & marries Mary Bennett not Bonill as per Francis's death.& they have five children between 1823-1833. Francis is married in 1847 in Inveraray so I guess that some came back to Granny & or Grandpa.So the Grace in the 1841 is Francis's Granny?? Age is right for a marriage at 16.Would love to know where her Independent means came from.
The descendants on this line(my Great-Aunts husband's family) certainly had the travel bug & many ended up in NZ &Australia.
There is also some early work to Ancestral File about 1940 so there is some LDS connection too.
I just found this family connection this past few days & because of the unusual name it has been a joy to track down-now if only my Ross's were so easy(my Great-Aunt!)
Oh the Mary could be the Mother or William had a sister Mary too.Will maybe try to obtain a copy of the actual certificate but I know ot may not give much info but.....

rainham

Re: Francis Edminston/Edmondston nee Rainham

Post by rainham » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:49 pm

I am related to the Rainham family you are researching. Do get in touch.

rainham

Re: Francis Edminston/Edmondston nee Rainham

Post by rainham » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:58 am

Hello
I am descended from this family and can give you some more information. It would be good to hear from you.