BOOK SEARCH - Please help!

History and Culture, A place to post a book title.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Mykayla's Gran

Post by Mykayla's Gran » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:38 am

Hi David! Thanks so much for the information. I believe you’re right about the book being published privately, and I will certainly contact the party concerned to see if it’s still possible to buy a copy.

How observant of you to see the play on words – I am very impressed!

Thanks again for your help – it’s really very much appreciated!

Kind regards.

Vee
McGillivray Nicolson SKYE
Whyte Grant Keith Roberts Low Wright Lamond Wilson Walker ANGUS
Morrison Forbes Gillan BANFFSHIRE
Milne Reid ABERDEEN
Chalmers Crighton Cleugh FIFE
McGrath Gibb IRELAND (Westmeath?)

Mykayla's Gran

Post by Mykayla's Gran » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:44 am

Hi Trotterbeck, thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction! I hadn’t thought of trying the LDS Centre regards the MacGillivrays of Skye, though I did visit the Dundee Centre some time ago and found them very helpful. They have a vast amount of information and are so willing to share it. I will certainly be going back! Thanks again for your help!

Best wishes.

Vee
Milne Reid ABERDEEN

Mykayla's Gran

Post by Mykayla's Gran » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:11 am

Hi Chris! Thanks for your post regards my book search!

I hadn’t heard of Jane S MacGillivray previously so thanks a lot for that information. I did have some contact with Roy in Canada some time ago. In fact he helped me considerably with this family. He gave my details to an Australian MacGillivray descendant who contacted me last year and we pooled our information, managing to add to the story. I found the cemetery where our common ancestor is buried on Skye but unfortunately his headstone is no longer in evidence.

There was quite a lot of information in the Clan Donald Centre on Skye, which led me to an “Inventory of Possessions” of Neil MacGillivray on ScotlandsPeople dated 1837. Neil was a crofter. The inventory gave details of everything he owned at the time of his death – some cash in an account in the “National Bank of Scotland”, a few farm animals, an old boat and a variety of other items, including plates, forks and spoons – and a dung fork – which by the way was worth a shilling! Just marvellous!

Thanks for your help Chris. I haven’t yet had a look at Jane S MacGillivray’s site but I will do!

Kind regards.

Vee
Milne Reid ABERDEEN

neilwmcgillivray

Re: BOOK SEARCH - Please help!

Post by neilwmcgillivray » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:39 pm

Just found this thread, whilst checking the McGillivray research.

The book is available as a pdf copy available via family search
https://www.familysearch.org/library/bo ... set=424101

It is about 28Mb.

It's well researched. An Excellent resource. I see that Doris passed away in 2017. I have updated her entry on family search accordingly
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/perso ... s/GDP4-HHB - she traces back to one of the Charles McGilvray of Skye, I believe.

Best Regards
McGillivray | Lonnie, Ardclach
Pringle | Hoppringel, Borders
Phillips | Fife
Hassenstein (Lobkowitz von Hassenstein) - Hasištejnský z Lobkovic | Bohemia, Prussia