REGARDING BOOKS

History and Culture, A place to post a book title.

Moderator: Global Moderators

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:47 am

Hi Marilyn

Thank you for that. I like your idea of the title of it. "Book Club Forum".
:D
I think that it would be interesting to talk about the merits of a particular book.

Regards

Researching: Stirlingshire-McDonald,Dunn,Scott,Edmond,Millar,Kay/Key,Watson,Towers.
Perth-Kay/Key Mull-McKinnon, Campbell. Renfrewshire-Kennedy,Boyd,McLaren, McDonald. Northern Ireland-Boyd,Kennedy,McKee
Sheila

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:52 am

Hi Sheila,

I think it's a wonderful idea :)

I think I would probably agree with Russell in that a spreadsheet would be a bit much, but love the idea of a book forum.

I've purchased several books based on comments of others here on TS...unfortunately, I can't quite find the time to sit down and read them all properly but I've enjoyed leafing through the books and getting wonderful insight into days gone by, etc. :wink:

One reason a book forum would be good is because if I don't make a note of the books right away, I would know which forum to turn to...it took me a little bit to find the posts again with all those good books before I could order them :)

Regards,
Anne H

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:13 am

I think that it would be interesting to talk about the merits of a particular book.
Hi Sheila,

I agree.

A Book Club forum could be created and for each new book title, a new thread could be started. Of course there may be some duplication, but hopefully members would glance through before posting a duplicate topic.

Regards
Marilyn

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:44 am

LesleyB wrote:Hi Mary
Couldn't such a spreadsheet be placed in the gallery for download? Possibly updated monthly or even quarterly?
[prod] Is that you volunteering????? :lol:

I think a forum area is a good idea, but I take Russell's point on board.

Best wishes
Lesley
The Book Club Forum idea is great, but could get pretty hefty, with several comments on each submission.

If Russell's spreadsheet could be added as a link in a "Sticky" in this forum, I'd be happy to keep it updated with any new information PM'd to me. The advantage, of course, being that Russell's interested parties could also have access to it.

Sounds all round pretty good to me!
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:54 am

By linking a Book List its just a list in my opinion. Kind of a flat note, not much spark or excitement. Besides, how will a member be able to comment or ask any questions?

Marilyn

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:55 am

Youre kidding Mary

If it goes up on TS all my 'interested parties' would have to join TS to access it. I'm not going to waste a good recruitment opportunity surely :D

As soon as I have added in my latest titles I'll e-mail it to you.
Currently it is small and only relevant for my local group as it is their acquisitions, but there are a few others of wider interest and several which have been mentioned recently on TS which I haven't even included.

I like the Book Forum format though.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:57 am

marilyn morning wrote:By linking a Book List its just a list in my opinion. Kind of a flat note, not much spark or excitement. Besides, how will a member be able to comment or ask any questions?

Marilyn
Mmmmm! That's true.

So why not both? A downloadable list in the gallery and a Book Club forum where comments / questions could be posted :idea:
[b]Mary[/b]
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:02 am

Russell wrote:Youre kidding Mary
No - I'm dead serious!
Russell wrote:If it goes up on TS all my 'interested parties' would have to join TS to access it. I'm not going to waste a good recruitment opportunity surely :D
All welcome :lol:
Russell wrote:As soon as I have added in my latest titles I'll e-mail it to you.
Currently it is small and only relevant for my local group as it is their acquisitions, but there are a few others of wider interest and several which have been mentioned recently on TS which I haven't even included.
From small acorns, etc... :lol:
[b]Mary[/b]

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:07 am

Mary :!: :!: :!: :!:

What are you talking yourself into :?:

#-o 8-[ [-X

](*,)

Russell :-#
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:40 am

Eventhough many on this board don't have snow where they live ... I'm sure they all know the term 'snowballing' :shock: Well, I think this has taken on the proportions of an AVALANCHE :lol:

I like the idea of adding a new topic for a Book Club where we can post the same way we do currently, but it offers us a dedicated topic, so we don't have to go through all the 'likely' places we thought we read it.

I don't see it as an overload, just a dedicated space. Look at all the chatter we had back and forth about the two books leading up to the summer's Tombola! Can't remember the titles now, but if we had a dedicated topic, then I'd know exactly where I read it. Also, it would save some of our threads from getting side tracked.

I'm not advocating writing book reviews, but certainly the same things we've been doing all along, but with its own space.

Brilliant!!! (Sorry, you can take the lady :roll: out of the library, but you can't take the library out of the lady) :lol:
Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow