Another New Scottish Genealogical Book

History and Culture, A place to post a book title.

Moderator: Global Moderators

sheilajim

Another New Scottish Genealogical Book

Post by sheilajim » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:27 am

Hi All

I just bought another Scottish Genealogical book through The History Book Club. It is titled "Tracing Your Scottish Family History" by Anthony Adolph.

I haven't read it all yet,just skimmed over some of the pages. It looks like a very nice book. It is soft bound and every page is illustrated with pictures and paintings.
The book details the main registers, that we on Talking Scot are all familiar with. It includes samples of church registers, census, etc.

Half of the book is devoted to how the people lived. It includes clans and tartans, crofters, immigration and emigration. It also gives a brief history on the origins of the people of Scotland, including Vikings, etc.

All in all it is a very nice book and a steal for me at only $11.00 through my History Book Club, :D though no doubt it will cost a little more at a book
store.

Regards
Sheila

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:19 am

Hi Sheila,

Amazon has the book for $22.76. They also list 10 used copies for only $10.

Ina

david macdiarmid

Re: Another New Scottish Genealogical Book

Post by david macdiarmid » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi Sheila,i bought the same book yesterday for £4.99.when the rrp is £17.99.I purchased mine in a shop called "the works",a bagain that's for sure, as it seems to have been extensively researched,and is full of info,David :D
Banks,Bennet-Clark,Bird,Cholat,Clark,Clay,Dupre,Dupuis,Fraser,Grant,Gunn,Hooper
Kelly,Leburn,Livingston,MacDonald,Paris,Reymond,Russell,Sommerville,Sutherland & Watson.All Scottish searches,apart from the four obvious French names.Merci Beaucoup !!!

sheilajim

Re: Another New Scottish Genealogical Book

Post by sheilajim » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi David,

I hope that you enjoy the book, I did. I go back to it now and then for reference. :D
Sheila