Help with Fouchard family in Edinburgh please

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

edroe

Help with Fouchard family in Edinburgh please

Post by edroe » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi Everyone
I have been looking for the birth/baptisms of the Fouchards without much success, have tried Scotland People but they have not appeared on there so far.
I must warn you, what they can do with this name is beyond belief.

Anthony Fouchard married Jacobina Tephin/Taphin 7 may 1813 at St Cuthberts, Edinburgh.

The first child was on IGI as Erzilie Touchard (turned out to be Rose Ella) bth 5 feb 1816 Edinburgh Parish, Midlothian, Chr 24 Feb 1816 High Church Parish, Mother Jamima Topper.
There should be three other chidren, Mary abt 1817, David abt 1818 and William about 1824.

Post Office directories list Anthony at St Cuthberts 1813, High St, Edinburgh 1814/15, South Bridge, edinburgh 1816-1820, Academy St, Dumfries 1822-1825 and were in Liverpool in 1827.
Anthony was a French Teacher at Dumfries Academy in 1826.

Any information at all will be greatly apreciated

Kind Regards
Edroe

joette
Global Moderator

Re: Help with Fouchard family in Edinburgh please

Post by joette » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi Edroe
Welcome to Talking Scot.
Going by names & his choice of profession is there a :oops: "French Connection" :oops:?
I couldn't resist.
I can find the marriage but under no combination can I find any of the christenings-what religion were they? I wonder if it would be worth a punt at the Catholic Registers?
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:02 pm

Bingo just found six in the Catholic Register & the Mother is listed as Madame Fouchard worth the one credit!
There are two entries for three children two are St Andrews Dumfries & Mary in Edinburgh.

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:24 pm

Hello and welcome to Talking Scot.

A search at Ancestry shows some of the people you mention living at Liverpool on census records. Have you seen those?

I see Joette has found some records for you. :D

There is at least one wee snippet (although it doesn't give a first name) in the 19th Century newspapers of a M. Fouchard, a French teacher, at Liverpool in 1835. Most people can access these newspapers with a library card.

Regards,
Annette

edroe

Post by edroe » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:28 pm

Thanks everyone for the welcome and replies, sorry about the delay in answering but being new to the site i missed ticking the box to be notified of the replies but that is fixed now.

Joette, i assume these records are on Scotlands People so will check that now. Wasn't sure they were Catholic.

Have most of the family in Liverpool and the census thanks Annette but wil see if i can find that article online as West Aust is were i live and don't think they have too many copies of old English Newspapers here.

Thanks again
Eddie

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:47 pm

edroe wrote:Thanks everyone for the welcome and replies, sorry about the delay in answering but being new to the site i missed ticking the box to be notified of the replies but that is fixed now.

Joette, i assume these records are on Scotlands People so will check that now. Wasn't sure they were Catholic.

Have most of the family in Liverpool and the census thanks Annette but wil see if i can find that article online as West Aust is were i live and don't think they have too many copies of old English Newspapers here.

Thanks again
Eddie
Hopefully, our resident expert, :D Alan will be along to direct you about access in Australia. Meanwhile if you have a library card you could try searching your council's ? :? home page for online resources.

Regards,
Annette

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:20 am

Eddie

I'm in Australia and I access the 19th Century newspapers through the National library of Australia. Anyone with an Australian address can join - you need to join and then you have access to all sorts of information useful to your family research

Get a library Card
http://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard

E Resources - log on with your card for easy access
http://www.nla.gov.au/app/eresources/

19th century British newspapers
http://www.nla.gov.au/app/eresources/item/3303

You will also find access to digital resources through your state library (may be the same or different to the NLA) and perhaps your local council library as well

Trish

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Yes the birth records are on Scotlands People on the Catholic Registers& with the date & being French I would assume they were Catholic especially when the births/christenings weren't coming up on the OPR's.
Two of the children was christened in Dumfries & one in Edinburgh.(or t'other way about I can't remember now!)

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:34 am

Hello Eddie,

Rather than keep you in suspense while you’re waiting for your library card, here are a couple of newspaper items.

Liverpool Mercury etc, Friday, April 9, 1830
FRENCH LANGUAGE.
MONSIEUR A. FOUCHARD begs leave to inform the Gentry and the Public at large that he will open his FRENCH CLASSES on the 21st instant, at No. 82, Bittern-Street, near Mount-pleasant.
1st Classes, French Grammar and Conversation (for grown up Gentlemen) from 6 o'clock in the Morning to 7—7 to 8—8 to 9.
2d Junior Classes (Ladies and Gentlemen) in the Forenoon from 10 to 11—11 to 12—12 to 1.
3d Junior Classes (Ladies and Gentlemen) in the Afternoon from 2 to 3—3 to 4—4 to 5—5 to 6.
4th. Evening Classes, Grammar and Conversation (for grown up Gentlemen) from 6 to 7—7 to 8—8 to 9.
Terms very moderate. —An Hour to each Class.
For particulars apply at A. F.'s Lodging, No. 61, Pitt-street.

Liverpool Mercury etc, Friday, December 11, 1835
(ADVERTISEMENT.)
CASE OF GREAT DISTRESS.
The case of an individual, who has taught French in Liverpool and other parts of the kingdom for a period of twenty years, is humbly submitted to the notice of the benevolent and humane.
Mr. Fouchard has for several years taught in this town with diligence and success, and amongst the numerous respectable schools and families from whom he has received encouragement, all have been pleased to express themselves highly satisfied with his exertions. But it has pleased Almighty God to visit him with a disorder in the eyes, which has left him almost totally blind, and thus precluded him from earning his livelihood, as formerly, by teaching. He is also beginning to feel in other respects the infirmities of advancing life, and to some other means of obtaining support for himself and his family he must, therefore, betake himself. His family consists of his wife, six children, and one step-child: of these his wife and two children are entirely, and other two in a great measure, dependent upon him. Labouring under declining health and diminished abilities for exerting himself, his mind is touched with the most poignant distress at the idea of the hardships to which those individuals so dear to him must be exposed. Under these circumstances he makes his present appeal. Nothing is exaggerated; every statement can be substantiated by the most satisfactory proof. To a generous public he leaves the result. Donations will be received at the Mercury office.
Liverpool, 11th November, 1835.

All the best,
Alan

edroe

Post by edroe » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks Alan that's great, doesn't it seem like forever when waiting for something to arrive, have applied for a card but it takes about 10 days.
Seems like they fell on very hard times but in the 1841 census he had changed to Music Teacher
That is interesting about a stepchild, will have to research that but as the 1841 census does not give relationship to family it might be hard.

Also registered with Scotlands People but only just got through the emailing of password so can search everything tomorrow.

Regards
Eddie