Adam MYLES - Angus and/or Perthshire

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

phislop

Adam MYLES - Angus and/or Perthshire

Post by phislop » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:55 pm

Desperately seeking Adam MYLES who was possibly married to Janet ANDERSON c 1834 - Perthshire (presumably). They had a son John MYLES born c 1835.
The only information on his place of birth comes from the information in census records being what looks like Lethendy, Perthshire. (I mean John MYLES birthplace... sorry!)
Janet (re)married in 1838, Kettins, Angus to James GRANT.
I am presuming (dangerous I know) that Adam possibly died (or disappeared) between 1834 and 1838.
I have no further information on Adam MYLES - the only match I can find is Adam born 1813, Coupar Angus, son of John and Magdelen RATTRAY.
Any help would be gratefully received - this has been a mystery for at least the last 50yrs or so!!! :?

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Adam MYLES - Angus and/or Perthshire

Post by SarahND » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:41 pm

Hello phislop and [TS_welcome]
Was there any indication on Janet's marriage to James Grant that she was a widow, rather than a single woman? If she was single, then there might be some mention of John's birth in the kirk session records. I note that the Lethendy and Kinloch kirk session records appear to still exist for that time period. It would be definitely worth a look.

Also, on John's marriage and death records, what is Adam's occupation? The Adam born in Coupar Angus, as I'm sure you know, went onto marry someone named Christian and had two daughters, all of them living in Dundee. He was a flax dresser in 1841, then a warehouse porter and warehouseman.

All the best,
Sarah