help with understanding OPR birth

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

barbarajoh

help with understanding OPR birth

Post by barbarajoh » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:10 pm

Can anyone help me understand this OPR for an Agnes Brash seemingly born in 1854 to John Brash and Agnes Drummond. Why would he have to make a declaration to David Nicolson, esq and as I don't believe the child is their child there anything/anywhere I can search to find out more. Agnes Drummond would be 54 years old in 1854 and her husband John was a carpet weaver but they already had a child Agnes born around 1825. I believe Agnes jnr had an illegitimate child around this time, were they trying to hide it and why? I have never come across this before on a birth and wondered if anyone else had.

Barbara
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elwyn 1

Re: help with understanding OPR birth

Post by Elwyn 1 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:52 pm

They might have wanted to pass off their daughter’s illegitimate child as theirs to avoid shame. It looks as though the Minister was in some doubt as to who the parents really were and so to reinforce their statement, the claimed father either swore an affidavit or formally gave his word in some way to a JP. Perhaps the Kirk Session minutes may contain more information?
Elwyn

barbarajoh

Re: help with understanding OPR birth

Post by barbarajoh » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:03 pm

Thank you. That was the conclusion I was coming to but was worried I was being too fanciful.

Barbara