Malinzina Bruce born 1802

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

fmackay

Malinzina Bruce born 1802

Post by fmackay » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:22 am

The index information for Malinzina Bruce, daughter of Andrew Bruce and Janet Staig says Cockpen Midlothian which ties in with all the other births of siblings.
However when I viewed the actual record at Register House the information was as follows:
Andrew Bruce and Janet Staig his spouse had a daughter born in Kilbri???? in the county of Wicklow in the Kingdom of Ireland March 14th and baptised March 29th 1802. Witnesses - the Earl of Meath and Mr ????

I will pay for the record in due course - but a bit confused with this record! Is it a case of born in Ireland but also registered in Scotland. All the other children that I could find were all born in the place listed in the index.
Andrew Bruce was born in Liberton according to 1851 census and died in 1852 in Newbattle. Hi wife Janet according to census was born in Newbattle.
They married in 1799.
I can find no record of Malinzina apart from birth record

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Looking for
Mackay Morrison Manson - Sutherland
Bain Sinclair Gunn Henderson Levack Dunnet Lyall More Corner Miller-Caithness
Wylie Brown Louttit Banks Hourston Spence Drever Bews Irvine Whitelaw/Whitelay Linklater - Orkney

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Malinzina Bruce born 1802

Post by AndrewP » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:26 pm

According to Cracroft's Peerage online, the 10th Earl of Meath, John Brabazon, married Lady Melosina Adelaide Meade on 31 December 1801. If you are not seeking exact spelling (bear in mind the spoken word was often more important than the written word; and the accents of the people around could easily give rise to spelling variations), I would say that Melanzina Bruce was probably named after the Earl's new wife.

John Brabazon (1772-1851) became the 10th Earl of Meath in 1797 upon the death of his brother William Brabazon, the 9th Earl of Meath (died from a duelling wound). John Brabazon was also Custos Rotulorum of County Wicklow, so there is a Wicklow connection for him.

See:
http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/onlin ... th1627.htm

The challenge for you may be to find a connection from your family to the Earl or his wife. Was Malinzina the first born in the family? It was commonplace for the first birth to take place in the mother's mother's home (help and knowledge being passed on?). Were the Staig family Irish?

Manor Kilbride (village?) can be found in the north-west of County Wicklow.

Food for thought,

AndrewP

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:02 pm

Thanks so much for reply Andrew. Malinzina was the first female to be born. A brother William before her. Definitely food for thought! 😃
I have no experience or knowledge of Irish records - do you have any suggestions where I should look first?
Looking for
Wylie Brown Louttit Banks Hourston Spence Drever Bews Irvine Whitelaw/Whitelay Linklater - Orkney

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:04 pm

I have no experience of the Irish records. Hopefully someone else can point you in the right direction. My good friend Google took me to web pages that gave me the information above.

All the best,

AndrewP

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:55 pm

Cheers Andrew
Looking for

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:17 pm

fmackay wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:02 pm
Thanks so much for reply Andrew. Malinzina was the first female to be born. A brother William before her. Definitely food for thought! 😃
I have no experience or knowledge of Irish records - do you have any suggestions where I should look first?
I am not quite sure what records in Ireland you might be hoping to find.

You mention the birth being “registered in Scotland.” There wasn’t any birth registration in Scotland (or Ireland) in 1802. All that was recorded then were baptisms. They did not need to take place where the person was born, and in this case clearly didn’t.

It looks as though the family normally lived in Scotland but happened to be in Ireland when their daughter was born in 1802. They then waited till they were back in Scotland 2 weeks later before having her baptised. So I can’t think of any record in Ireland that would record the birth there.

There are 4 townlands in Wicklow named Kilbride. One in the parish of Bray, one in Dunganstown and 2 in Kilbride. The surname Staig (and variant spellings) isn’t found in the county or indeed in Ireland generally.
Elwyn

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi Elwyn1
Many thanks for your reply.
Apologies for confusion- I meant the OPR record of baptism which I have now downloaded.
Thanks again
Looking for