Extract in an Old Parochial Register .....

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

Malcolm

Extract in an Old Parochial Register .....

Post by Malcolm » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:07 pm

Hello
Alexander Morris married Elizabeth Cockburn In the "parish" of Edinburgh in 1815. The entry, which is basically a list of names and not much else, gives the place name, St Andrews par after his name and profession. This is repeated for his wife to be.
My question is, does the reference to St Andrews indicate the place of birth or current place of residence or the name of the area within Edinburgh where both people are currently living?
While i have got your ear, as it were, the entry gives what I take to be a place name for John Cockburn, Elizabeth's father. The name of the place written after his job type looks like Dunse. If i substitute the U for an i and e I still can't find a place with a name like this. Im reasonably sure that the D,n and s are as read. One more if i may, why does the record state a name and place for the bride's father, if that's what it is, but not for the groom?
Thank's
Malcolm Morris
Morris (formerly Morrice) of Fife and Geekie of Scone

sporran

Re: OPR extract

Post by sporran » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:47 pm

Hello Malcolm,

only a couple of answers. St. Andrews is a parish in Edinburgh, in the New Town area (George Street). Duns in Berwickshire (about 12 miles west of Berwick) was known as Dunse until 1882.

Regards,

John

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:16 pm

Hi Malcolm

Don't know if this is any interest to you, being down in Yorkshire, but if you ever get the chance to come up to the Borders, the graveyard in Duns has some very legible stones and you may be lucky enough to find a grave for your ancestor there. I found a 4x great grandmother and her husband as well as their son.

I'm not sure if there is any publication of the Duns MIs.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:33 am

Thank's Sporran.
Changing the name to Duns sounds like a good move. You may know this but there is a place in Aberdeenshire called Lost. The local council proposed a name change to Lost Farm last year simply because souvenir hunters kept pinching the road sign. I wrote one of my rare protest letters and another to the local paper. I can get hot under the collar about this sort of thing you know, especially given the reasons stated. Sometime later i got an e-mail stating that complaints had been recieved from all over the world and that the name change decision would therefore be recinded. I thought you might like to know that
Thankyou as well Anne. I have not yet traced the deaths of this generation yet but i know that he was in Cairneyhill, Fife at the time of my ggggrandfather's birth. I have a feeling that this is where he ended his days. The Morris's have been heading north all the time i have looking for them. I'm off to Edinburgh on Monday week and this is one of the things that i would like to discover.
Regards
Malcolm Morris

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:04 pm

By the way, what's an MI
MM

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:11 pm

Malcolm wrote:By the way, what's an MI
MM
Memorial Inscription in a graveyard, as in tombstone inscription, or some form of inscription on the floor or walls of a church.

Davie

Laura

Old Parish Records

Post by Laura » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:10 am

Dear Malcolm,

A search of the International Genealogical Index found a marriage for:
Alexander MORRIS and Elizabeth COCKBURN, daughter of John COCKBURN,
16 MAY 1815 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
Batch No.: M119834

I also found a birth for an Elizabeth COCKBURN, 01 JAN 1783, daughter of John COCKBURN and Margret DICKSON. Place of birth and christening was: Duns, Berwick, Scotland.
This was submitted by a member of the LDS Church. If the information in this submission is correct, the place of birth ties in with the place name of residence for John COCKBURN.

I would think that St. Andrews was where the bride and groom were living at the time of the marriage. I find Hugh Wallis' site helpful in sorting out where the parishes are: County Midlothian -> Edinburgh -> (Edinburgh Parish) is where I found the batch number M119834.

A parent search of the IGI using Alexander MORRIS and Elizabeth COCKBURN found:
1. GEORGE MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 25 JAN 1824 Carnock, Fife, Scotland
2. ELIZABETH MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 27 MAR 1831 Carnock, Fife, Scotland
3. JOHN MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 23 NOV 1817 Carnock, Fife, Scotland
4. MARGARET MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 03 NOV 1816 Carnock, Fife, Scotland
5. WILLIAM MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 03 APR 1825 Carnock, Fife, Scotland
6. THOMAS MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 05 FEB 1828 Carnock, Fife, Scotland
7. PETER MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 05 JUL 1829 Carnock, Fife, Scotland
8. JAMES MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 13 AUG 1826 Carnock, Fife, Scotland
9. ROBERT MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 24 SEP 1820 Carnock, Fife, Scotland
10. ALISON MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 21 FEB 1819 Carnock, Fife, Scotland
11. ALEXANDER MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 24 NOV 1822 Carnock, Fife, Scotland

I hope this is of some help to you.
Kind Regards,
Laura

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:22 pm

Thank you Laura
I hope you are well. The family information you provided is fascinating. I only knew of two of these names until now. It looks as if my poor old granny was on a mission. With eleven dustbin lids (kids) in les than fifteen years means the poor woman was hardly ever out of bed. I wonder how her MI reads. Any suggestions? Here's one to start you off: here lies Elizabeth Morris, she did her best.
The reason i asked about St Andrews is that i know that there is a town of that name to the north. I think this is the place where men wearing silly,loud trousers gather with clubs to hit small balls into small holes in the ground. More i cannot say.
When i go to the Mormon site and enter the names of Alexander Morris and Elizabeth Cockburn for example, the information i get is limited to their marriage date. If i then click on "family" there is no further information. So how do you get to pick up on the sort of detail you gave me about the family of these people? Well, you told me to ask!
Thank's once again
Regards
Malcolm Morris

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:16 pm

Hi Malcolm,

Make sure you are in the IGI part of the Family Search. This gives a First name and Last name search for Individuals, below that if you enter the name of a spouse you'll get marriages of named couples. On the Right Hand side there are another few fields for Father and Mother. If you enter the names of the parents in these boxes and choose your country a search can yield all, some or none of the children born to the couple (depending on the dates, whether they were registered or whether the information has been transcribed).
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

Laura

Searching the IGI

Post by Laura » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:08 am

Hi Malcolm,
Just a note to add to Andy's suggestion regarding searching the familysearch site. The site has great tips on how to search the IGI and it's worth your time to use them. Hugh Wallis' site (a link is on this forum) lists the batch numbers and parishes taken from the IGI. When I clicked on Batch No.: M119834, this is what came up:

MORRIS Marriages from Batch No.: M119834

1. PHILLIP MORRES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 24 MAY 1813 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
2. ISABELLA MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Marriage: 06 AUG 1819 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
3. ELIZABETH MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Marriage: 07 JUN 1813 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
4. SOPHIA MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Marriage: 31 OCT 1820 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
5. JAMES PEMBERTON MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 01 MAY 1816 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
6. JAMES MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 19 DEC 1817 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
7. ALEXANDER MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 16 MAY 1815 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
8. ALEXANDER MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 28 NOV 1816 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
9. ZANNAY MORRIS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Marriage: 28 NOV 1816 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

Number 7 on this list is your Alexander. Number 8 and 9 married each other; I wonder if they were cousins? Zannay would be a great name to search for.

Re: writing Monumental Inscriptions: Malcolm, don't quit your day job.
Have you ever thought of writing eulogies?

Kind Regards,
Laura