These Catholic records are wonderful!

Records from the Scottish Catholic Archives

Moderator: Global Moderators

hg

Post by hg » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Hi,

I've found some of my Glacken's under various spellings. I was trying to find their mother Catherine McCartney, but no luck - yet. Does anyone know why there would be no cleryman named? It has also raised further questions for me. I found A Hugh Glacken in 1843 whose parents were Hugh Glacken and Cath McKartney who I did not know about, this was on the same page as Agnes Glaccan ( wrong spelling) , I have Agnes on the 1851 census, the birth date ties in. Twins maybe! I have found the other Hugh born to Hugh and Catherine in 1832 but I cannot read what the document says I always suspected this Hugh died. I have also found another child (I think) Mary born 1845 whom I never knew existed, no trace of her in the 1851 census.

The different spelling for both Glacken and McCartney make it quite difficult, but its great to actually be able to find some births. I will carry on looking.

all the best

Helen
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:56 pm

I was trying to find in the book Irish (that was recommended on here) the bit regarding how many Catholic churces there were before a certain period and how many sprang up over a certain period due to the amount of Irish Catholics that settled in Glasgow but can i find it :roll: !
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:54 pm

I'd have to say that so far I've not had any luck finding those from my RC branch, a mixture of Glasgow areas and Alloa, all post 1855 as most of them were not long arrived in Glasgow from Ireland at that time. ...No sign of any of them so far. :roll:

trish58

Post Subject

Post by trish58 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:51 am

Sad to say, I'm not having any luck either, tried Rae, Rea, Roe, Raw and everything in between-not a thing.

Good luck to those finding their family, but I guess too, it is early days.

Trish :D
searching. Rae, Kennedy, Agnew, McConnell, Singleton, Appleton, Feeney, Fury, & many more

WilmaM

Re: Post Subject

Post by WilmaM » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:05 am

trish58 wrote:Sad to say, I'm not having any luck either, tried Rae, Rea, Roe, Raw and everything in between-not a thing.

Good luck to those finding their family, but I guess too, it is early days.

Trish :D
Have you tried Wray?
I found a family connection under that in the Fermanagh 1911 census though she always used Rae, and even called her son Rae!
Wilma

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:09 am

Great to have these records online.

Ina, St. Mary's were a bit too trusting with the records, basically anyone could take them away for a wee nosey! Unfortunately one book was never returned so there could be literally thousands of records missing. Each book was about 100 - 150 pages and covered many years (price of paper was exorbitant). Your Bonnars may be in this group of people.

I don't know if the old St. Laurence's records are extant, the original church was bombed during the Blitz. The Tabernacle and Altar dressings were saved by a young Priest who got badly burned but the 80 years or so of Parish records, I think, were lost.

I, personally, have managed to add DOZENS of folk to my Rathlin database and also found out that my Great Grandfather's brother, Hugh Keogh, was in Greenock for much longer than I originally thought. Also found out the names of two other siblings of my Great Grandmother. I've looked at the books first hand and was well on the way to transcribing them but missed these. So, proper, accurate, online indexing is EVEN BETTER than the real thing.

I do wish, however, that the index was searchable by Sponsor/Godparent since relations were much more likely to have been approached than close family friends etc.

Any lottery winners may want to check up records for Gage baptisms in Greenock. Then cross reference to Statutory records for the same children, there's a TEN YEAR gap. So, as I harped on years ago, it is possible to have been Baptised BEFORE you were officially born!!!
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:24 am

Hi Andy
I don't know if the old St. Laurence's records are extant, the original church was bombed during the Blitz. The Tabernacle and Altar dressings were saved by a young Priest who got badly burned but the 80 years or so of Parish records, I think, were lost.
Ah, that is useful to know. I have a couple who were married there and had thought there was a strong chance that the two kids I know of would have been christened there too, but had been able to find no mention of the christening records for St.Lawrence's at NAS or elsewhere.

Best wishes
Lesley

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:40 pm

Andy wrote:Great to have these records online.

Ina, St. Mary's were a bit too trusting with the records, basically anyone could take them away for a wee nosey! Unfortunately one book was never returned so there could be literally thousands of records missing. Each book was about 100 - 150 pages and covered many years (price of paper was exorbitant). Your Bonnars may be in this group of people.

Hi Andy,

Good to see you posting again.

That's too bad that book was not returned. Do you have an idea as to the years that would be included in that book?

From what I've been told the Parish Priest of St Mary's set-up St Laurence's originally at Stanners Street in 1855. It was replaced in 1901 by the one at Carnock Street which was bombed in the Blitz and rebuilt in the early 1950s at Kilmacolm Road. So looks like we won't be seeing the St. Lawrence's records.

Do you have any idea when wee St. Mungo's was built. I know it was just demolished. That's where I was baptised, made my Holy Communion and Confirmation.

Ina

jennyblain

Post by jennyblain » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:48 pm

Good to see that they are there... I have no known RC branches but so many people have, and I'll cheer any advances from SP that help people in their searches :)

I did try looking for a few stray people - especially for Thomas Lynch b. around 1832-3, apparently in Dundee. Well, there is one b. 1830 whom I'm thinking about, son of a Michael and a Margaret, as a doubtful maybe... Still worth checking further if I get a chance - ruling people out is important.

I'll admit to being a bit envious of the people who've suddenly found avenues opened up to them! (But should remember that I had the same when the OPRs came online.)

My brick walls, therefore, remain resistant... :wink:

Good luck hunting, everybody!
Jenny
http://wyrdswell.co.uk/ancestors

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:01 pm

Well I've managed to find some, finally!

But I still can't work out why, if the index years is up until 1955, there are none of mine are listed after about 1865. Is it not the same system as the statutory births or marriages, where you can't see the image but they will still come up with a search, or is it just that my family's church records are not there?

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)