These Catholic records are wonderful!

Records from the Scottish Catholic Archives

Moderator: Global Moderators

nancy

Post by nancy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:40 am

I found four of my rellies in St Mirin parish in Paisley,just a pity St Charles and St Marys wasnt there,BUT,it gave me some more names to go on,as these baptismal records give the sponsor so heres hoping I can branch out here!! :D :D :D

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:28 am

Ina wrote:
Do you have an idea as to the years that would be included in that book?

Do you have any idea when wee St. Mungo's was built.
Ina
I've not found any St. Mary's records after 1902.

St. Mungo's opened in 1934 (as was St. Pat's) and was pulled down in 2007
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:38 am

Ooh! OOh! I've just demolished a brick wall!!

Well, not a really BIG one, mind you, but it's always great to have confirmation of a long suspected individual's connection to the tree. I now have proof that someone I thought was my 5X great grandmother's brother IS her brother. I knew he existed as he was witness to 5X g-gran's sister's wedding, but it didn't say how he was related or anything. Also I couldn't find anyone that fitted on the censuses, deaths, marriages etc, so I just kept him on the 'back burner'.....and today I found him! :lol:

My Thomas O'Brien and Mary Glancy from Co. Leitrim had a child baptised in 1848, sponsor Catherine Cassidy. Just down from them on the same page is a Patrick Glancy and his wife Matilda Rooney having a child baptised, and the sponsor is again Catherine Cassidy. So that was enough connection to get me searching. I managed to find them on the 1851 census and found a couple of children's births.

The bad news is that they seem to have disappeared before the 1861 census. My guess is that they went back to Ireland.

But the good news is they had a son born in 1855! :lol:

Bad news was that it was a horrendous copy, and I could barely make out a word, except for the word "Leitrim". :lol: :lol: :lol: So I guess that was GOOD news!

I have asked SP for a better copy and the wonderful Roslyn has already acknowledged my email, so it shouldn't be long.

Now if only I can find out who the heck is Catherine Cassidy? :shock:
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:46 am

Now if only I can find out who the heck is Catherine Cassidy?
:D Typical of genealogy - you answer one question with a million more. :roll:

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:17 pm

Ann In the UK wrote:
Now if only I can find out who the heck is Catherine Cassidy?
:D Typical of genealogy - you answer one question with a million more. :roll:
That's what makes it so much fun :lol:
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Grendlsmother

Post by Grendlsmother » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:07 am

Yippe - found all ten of my ggxgrandfather's children, including one that I didn't have before who must have died an infant. It also helped establish who was the eldest child - she was away from home in 1841 and listed as 15. However, a brother still at home was listed as 16 and what with the rounding up and down business I couldn't be sure if the girl's age was correct. Turns out she was actually 18. Getting the actual birthdates for all of them was great as they all either didn't know when they had been born or lied consistently about their ages on subsequent censuses.

Now - one of the witnesses to the birth of the first child had the same surname and also the same first name as that given to the couples first born son (2nd child). Could he be my (born Ireland) ggxgrandfather's brother - I have never found parents or siblings for him - a whole new can of worms is opened! I'm going to lock my credit card away and lose the key, it's all too tempting.
Main lines: McCormick(mack); Connel; Others: McDonald; McFadzean; Brown; Kerr and many more

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:21 am

Grendlsmother wrote:I'm going to lock my credit card away and lose the key, it's all too tempting.
I tried that once - unfortunately I'd memorized all the details and I couldn't lock away my memory :roll:
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Grendlsmother

Post by Grendlsmother » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:23 pm

Another question - would an RC couple go through two ceremonies. I know that all marriages had to be registered with Church of Scotland.

Several of my couples had their first child within a few weeks of the Church of Scotland marriage. Now I don't particulary care about this, but it would be interesting to know if they had previously been through an RC wedding and the official marriage was not the shotgun affair it appeared to be.

Anybody know? And do we know if and when marriages and deaths will come on line?
Main lines: McCormick(mack); Connel; Others: McDonald; McFadzean; Brown; Kerr and many more

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:58 am

Hi:

I don't currently have any active credits, so I'm unable to poke around, but was wondering if any of the baptismal records are in Latin? I have seen some Catholic ones that are.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:09 am

None that I've come across so far Francis.

Ina