These Catholic records are wonderful!

Records from the Scottish Catholic Archives

Moderator: Global Moderators

Anne H
Global Moderator

These Catholic records are wonderful!

Post by Anne H » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:54 pm

Well, I wasn't supposed to buy any more credits for another month but just couldn't resist.

I don't know about anyone else, but so far, these records are absolutely fantastic...I'm having great luck. \:D/

Thanks to Andrew for letting us know the records are now online. :D

A very happy....
Anne H

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:13 am

I wish I could say the same :roll:

None of my Bonners seem to be showing up. Any chance they were "rubbed out" after my grandfather "ejected" the priest from his home for declaring that it was "better to feed his kids souls than their bellies" when he refused to pay his chapel tithe because he only had enough money to buy food.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:44 am

Mary wrote:
"better to feed his kids souls than their bellies"
My goodness, Mary...I've never heard of that - most unusual! :shock:

By the looks of things, not all churches have been digitized...maybe they still have more to put online.

Regards,
Anne H

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:58 am

WOW......my credit card is going wild......I'm finding all of my Moran's.

Greenock only has St. Mary's parish listed and it happens to be the parish where most of my Morans were baptised. Strange though that I can't find any of my Bonnars there and I know many of them were also baptised there. Maybe all of the records aren't available yet.

Can't wait for St. Lawrence's records to come online.

Ina

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:12 am

Mary and Ina,

Maybe your Bonne(a)rs have been mis-indexed. None of my Roe's were coming up for St. Patrick's or St. Augustine's in Coatbridge, no matter what variation of the name I tried, but just got lucky and found one of them on the certificate I pulled up for one of my Hearty's...great when you get two for the price of one, especially when nothing was coming up for one of them. :D

Regards,
Anne H

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:26 am

Anne H wrote:Mary and Ina,

...great when you get two for the price of one, especially when nothing was coming up for one of them. :D

Regards,
Anne H
Anne,

I actually got one with three of mine on the same page. Felt like I had hit the jackpot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ina

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:53 am

There are many parishes whose records have not been released by the Scottish Catholic Archives to ScotlandsPeople. The records released are only where the parish was in existence before 1855. If the parish was created from 1855 onwards then the records have not been released to ScotlandsPeople.

I don't know if there is any opportunity for renegotiation on that criterion, or if that is final. I believe that criterion was made by the Scottish Catholic Archives.

It could be argued that similar exists with the OPRs. The Church of Scotland didn't stop keeping baptismal rolls or the like after 1854. The Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages (Scotland) Act 1854 only called for the registers to the end of 1854 to be submitted to GROS. From 1855, all bmd's should be recorded within the statutory registration process.

All the best,

Andrew

annpa

Post by annpa » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:59 pm

sorry to hijack the thread.

Mary -
Would any of the Bonners/Bonnars in your ancestry have been Crampseys?
The names were interchangeable in Donegal. I have a Crampsey who changed his name to Bonner, and then disappeared off the face of the earth.

cheers
Annpa
[size=75] Annpa Fincher seeking
[b]FARQUHAR[/b] Paisley, Glenlivet;
[b]CASEY, CRAMPSEY, KELLY, CROSSAN[/b] Glasgow, Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire;
[b]SPARKS[/b] Inverness-shire, Glasgow, Norwich;
[b]MATHESON[/b] Banff, Ross[/size]

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:10 pm

Thanks Andrew...a lot of good information there! :)

Regards,
Anne H

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:15 pm

Anne H wrote:Mary wrote:
"better to feed his kids souls than their bellies"
My goodness, Mary...I've never heard of that - most unusual! :shock:
My mother was ten when it happened and she said she'd never forget the expression of pure rage on her father's face :shock: . He'd been "on the Parish" for a while after an injury at work (no sick pay back then) so money was tight.

All of the kids were registered at the local protestant school on the following Monday :lol: and he was excommunicated some time later.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)