Catholics in Huntly, Aberdeenshire

Records from the Scottish Catholic Archives

Moderator: Global Moderators

Richard1979

Catholics in Huntly, Aberdeenshire

Post by Richard1979 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:11 am

Hello All,

My ancestors Jean McInnes and William Grant lived in Gibston, Huntly. They had the following children baptised at Huntly

Elspet Grant 1793
Margaret Grant 1797
WIlliam Grant 1798

The witnesses at Elspets baptism were one John McInnes and John Roger.

I recently looked on the 1797 Horse Tax which gives the following horse owners in this area, who each owned a horse for business purpose and were therefore liable to tax on it:

William Weymis, Gibston
John Smith, Junior, Gibston
James Roger, Gibston
John McInnes, Gibston
Mr Maxwell, Gibston
Alexander Grant, Torryshields

Know I am theorising my William Grant, who was a farm servant, may have been a relation to Alex Grant and working on his farm at Torryshields. John McInnes I'm fairly certain is a relation to Jean, most likely her uncle, so I think she probably met William whilst visiting her uncle in Gibston (she lived in Rothes).

To cut a long story short though, all the above farmers baptised their children in the Catholic faith. As I understand it Gibston had a special place in the Catholic History of North East Scotland, and the 'Mr Maxwell' was in fact Father Charles Maxwell, the head of the Catholic Mission in the area, and the man who built the first Catholic Church in 200 years in North East Scotland at Huntly in 1787.

Does anyone have any further info about Catholics in Huntly, Gibston, or Mr Maxwell? What I have been able to find online so far is limited, and I'd like to know more.

Also John McInnes had his first two children baptised in both Church of Scotland and Catholic faith, the youngest three only Catholic. Can anyone suggest a possible explanation for this..was it the usual practise?

Thanks

Richard
Researching: Gordon, Troup, Milne, Grant, McInnes, Brown (Aberdeenshire, Moray, Banff)

Holohan & Donnelly (Dundee & Eire)

Ted

Re: Catholics in Huntly, Aberdeenshire

Post by Ted » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:04 pm

Hi Richard

William Grant & Jean McInnes had another daughter - Barbara Grant - she was born around 1803 (going by her ages on 41/51/61 census). I have her death cert - but can't find an OPR birth for her. She married Alexander Milne in Feb 1829 - he is the most likely source of the middle name for your G Grandfather Alexander Milne Gordon.

I'll PM you later with details

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

Richard1979

Post by Richard1979 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi Ted

I do have Barbara Milne/Grant on the tree, have her death cert (do not think I have the marriage entry though) but likewise had no luck finding a baptism for her. Interestingly she is also listed on Morays LIBINDX her death was reported in the Elgin Courant 30/08/1867 page 8 coulmn 6. I don't know if you have it either, but her son James Alexander Milne, the mill owner, has a will up on SP. Not downloaded it yet myself, as of course most of our Gordons and Troups were dead or moved away from Huntly by then, and I think it fairly likely he left it all to his daughter and her husband William Gray. Might be worth checking all same. I do have a newspaper report of his death too, but only a small announcement, and gives little more detail than the death cert, that he was killed in an accident with the water wheel, (blow to the head), not a nice way to go.

Regards

Richard
Last edited by Richard1979 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Researching: Gordon, Troup, Milne, Grant, McInnes, Brown (Aberdeenshire, Moray, Banff)

Ted

Post by Ted » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:45 pm

Hi Richard

I have James A Milne's Will - downloaded it a couple of years ago - and lots of other info on him. I'll contact you separately with details.

Regards

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

Richard1979

Post by Richard1979 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:59 pm

Thanks Ted.

CalumD

Post by CalumD » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:12 pm

Hello Richard

You may find some information on the Scottish Catholic Archives web site.

It has a family history secion and forum.

http://www.scottishcatholicarchives.org ... fault.aspx

Regards

CalumD

Richard1979

Post by Richard1979 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks Calum.