Roses home lodging house

Records from the Scottish Catholic Archives

Moderator: Global Moderators

Gordyw

Roses home lodging house

Post by Gordyw » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi,can anyone help me with information regarding Roses home in Dundee in the area of St.Clements.I found a Henry Watson as an inmate there in the 1911 census and I'm trying to find out if he is my GG Grandfather who died in Larbert Asylum in 1922 aged 71.I believe the home was a catholic establishment but all my ancestors were C OF S.Any additional info may be beneficial as I dont have much on him.Thanks
searching in Alloa for Watson,Henney,Pratice.
and Carronshore Watsons

Currie

Re: Roses home lodging house

Post by Currie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:55 am

Hello Gordyw,

I’m not getting very far with this. Does the place have an address on the census form? Did you think it might have something to do with Rose House in Constitution Terrace?

How are the residents described, are they all male and elderly etc? Can you see the name of the person running the place at the top of the list of residents?

All the best,
Alan

Gordyw

Post by Gordyw » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi,I believe this to be the same place,as for the residents they were all male of varying ages and all listed as inmates,perhaps this was a secure institution.Gordon
and Carronshore Watsons

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:45 am

I’m still not getting anywhere I’m sorry to say. I’m not really satisfied that Rose House fits the bill. Is the Rose bit clearly written? The only other place I’ve found so far in Dundee that had what could be called inmates, apart from poorhouses, was Dundee Royal Asylum. If there were a large number of people living there maybe they have just written Royal on pages after the first.

Is there a header page for the census info?

Clutching at straws,
Alan

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:27 pm

Greetings.

Just a suggestion. Is it possible to follow the route taken in the census, working the dwellings left and right of the one in question, to get a better fix on it? I've had success with that in the past, though it was the 1851 census in Renfrew.

Alan SHARP.

Gordyw

Post by Gordyw » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Cheers Alan,sounds like a plan so I'll try that.Thanks Gordon
and Carronshore Watsons