Looking for George - 1960s Glasgow singer

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Johnniemac

Looking for George - 1960s Glasgow singer

Post by Johnniemac » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:32 am

Does anyone know this singer called "George" from 1961 who sang in one of the more popular larger dancehalls in Glasgow?
singer.JPG
Key points:-
Name: George
Date: 1960 to 1962
One of the band singers was shot and killed at that time at a railway station (date ?).
He spoke with a slight stammer.
This picture of George playing the drums was taken by Renfrew photographer Brian Nugent of 21 Second Ave, Renfrew (1961 ?).

Thank you,

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Currie

Re: Looking for George - 1960s Glasgow singer

Post by Currie » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:55 am

Hello John, and Welcome to TalkingScot.

Hopefully Glasgow was not so violent at that time that the murder didn’t make front page headlines. That’s unless more newsworthy events crowded it out.

Google has two Glasgow newspapers online for that time period. The search facility is generally useless but you can browse.

The Glasgow Herald tended to be a bit conservative and wasn’t into the big bold headline thing. https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... de=2&hl=en

The Evening Times was a different kettle of fish and as can be seen the big news story headline can easily be read even on the thumbnail. Set the size to large to make it easier to read. https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... de=2&hl=en

So if you follow the line of thumbnails looking for something that looks like a murder, and then click the thumbnail image to get to the full size page, you may be lucky and find it. It would take a while but is doable.

Maybe there will be mention of George as well.

If a newspaper issue appears to be missing it may be attached to the back of the previous one.

Maybe they could help at GlasgowGuide – Glasgow Bands in the 60s. http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/lofiv ... 7-300.html

Best of luck,
Alan

Johnniemac

Post by Johnniemac » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:16 am

Hi Alan, thank you for your contribution. I will follow up on these. The post about the killing was simply because it was one comment connecting our conversation with George and was hoping would if in the news speak about the dance band this singer sang for and that would place George and the dancehall he sang. Finding any direct reference to the most popular Halls and bands has proved most difficult.

Thank you Alistair for all you help posting "my search"

Thank you .

John Macdonald

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:43 pm

Another long haul is this really comprehensive site http://www.scotbands.moonfruit.com/welcome/4532487442. It lists bands in Scotland with names of some members.

I can tell you that it was not Barrowland Ballroom because my dad was resident singer there in the 60s.

Regards,
Annette

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:40 pm

Given that the photographer was based in Renfrew are you certain that "george" was based in Glasgow ?
~RJ Paton~

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:25 pm

Falkyrn wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:40 pm
Given that the photographer was based in Renfrew are you certain that "george" was based in Glasgow ?

That's what I thought too.

Also 21 Second Avenue is a private house. Maybe Brian still lives there and might remember.

My other half suggested George McGowan (Big Band). Might be a coincidence but one site has him as a drummer.

Regards,
Annette

Johnniemac

Post by Johnniemac » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:44 pm

Hi Thanks for response. Yes George sang in one of the larger dancehalls in Glasgow 1960 ,to 62. I know it was not the Lacarno or Barrowland but cannot remember which other popular and nice dancehall who had a resident band. Yes the address is a private address and I could not get the contact at that address. I know this is a very long shot but I hoped the picture would get some response. My girlfriend and her friends knew George but cannot remember where the dancehall was. We used to go to the F and F but there must have been other large halls as this was not a club dance hall.

Still trying. Thank you.

Johnniemac

Post by Johnniemac » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:26 pm

Hi Annette,

I am going bthrough the danceband list you gave the web site for and finding several interesting possibilities of bands in Glasgow 1960 to m62. I will start to msearch if they are still arround and follow these up.

Thank you. Still trying.

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:56 pm

Hi Johnnie
I found some references to a 20 year old Glasgow upholsterer and dance hall singer who was shot and killed on the Glasgow-London train in September 1962 . His name was Thomas McBain.
According to the Daily Mirror he sang with the Teen Beats.
Perhaps that will ring a bell with someone
Cheers
Sally
Newhaven-DRYBURGH,NICOLL,HUNTER(+Alloa) ; Lesmahagow-MITCHELL,LAMB, BARR, BROWN,CALLAN; Comrie-MCDOUGALL, MCEWEN, MCLAREN, BRYSON; BEW - PRINGLE, FISHER,SPENCE;Edzell-MIDDLETON,DORWARD;
Edin.-JOHNSTON, MONTGOMERY;Fife-SIME, FORRESTER, WANLESS

Johnniemac

Post by Johnniemac » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi Annette,

Just checked your post. Will look into finding ant connection. I have been checking the "friends of" various dancehalls, Plaza Egglinton toll, Appolo , Majestic , Berkley, and was hoping to find one in Renfrew but not much coming up with anything like clues of George singing at these. Still trying.

Your finding the point about a singer being shot and killed on a train was very interesting and cannot be just a coincident.

Thank you.