BOOK SEARCH - Please help!

History and Culture, A place to post a book title.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Mykayla's Gran

Post by Mykayla's Gran » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:38 pm

Hi Andrew :)

You’re quite right! When the main library in Dundee submitted an Inter Library Request to the National Library of Scotland they “declined” to lend it. It’s likely to be the only copy they have. The British Library don’t have it at all. Ah well … at least I can still have a look at it, even if I’ll have to travel to do it! A fine excuse to have a wee holiday on Skye … or even Edinburgh.

I would still love my own copy though. I’m in contact with a distant relative in Australia who’s descended from the same ancestor on Skye (Neil McGillivray, born around 1761) – so I’d love see what I can discover for her too!

Thanks for your efforts!

Kind regards -

Vee
McGillivray Nicolson SKYE
Whyte Grant Keith Roberts Low Wright Lamond Wilson Walker ANGUS
Morrison Forbes Gillan BANFFSHIRE
Milne Reid ABERDEEN
Chalmers Crighton Cleugh FIFE
McGrath Gibb IRELAND (Westmeath?)

Mykayla's Gran

Post by Mykayla's Gran » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:56 pm

Nancy – many thanks for going to all this trouble :D . I’m overwhelmed by the kindness of yourself and the others! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your help!

I was delighted to hear you hit gold with your wee find. That’s the kind of bargain that keeps me smiling for days! I’m a great believer in fate though, and I often wonder if our ancestors give us a wee [prod] in the right direction now and then!

Thanks again [many-greens]

Kind regards

Vee
Milne Reid ABERDEEN

Bob C

Post by Bob C » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:27 pm

The Scottish Genealogy Society lists a copy in Edinburgh under their library section.

See www.scotsgenealogy.com

Bob
Searching for Baillie in
Kettle, Collessie, Auchtermuchty and Markinch Fife
South Leith Midlothian
Larbert and Stirling

Mykayla's Gran

Post by Mykayla's Gran » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:04 pm

Bob, sorry for the delay in replying to your post. Other commitments get in the way of this compelling obsession of mine far too often [sigh]

I came across the site you mention a few months ago and emailed them with my enquiry re the book in question. However, they didn’t reply. Your post gave me a wee reminder so I’ve emailed them again today. [-o<

Many thanks for taking the time to help!

Regards

Vee :)
Milne Reid ABERDEEN

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:03 pm

Hi Vee
The SGS is well worth a visit - just jump on the train from Dundee!! :D
From Waverley, stroll up Coburn Street, (or up Advocates Close if you like an aerobic workout!!) up the High Street, and then along Victoria Terrace.
For non-members it costs £5 a day to use their library which, as well as having a huge collection of MIs (largest in Scotland) and 'hunners' of other fascinating books, they also have a complete set of microfilms of the OPRs for the whole of Scotland.

Best wishes
Lesley

Mykayla's Gran

Post by Mykayla's Gran » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:11 pm

Hi Lesley, looks like a real treasure trove for family researchers – and they’re even open on Saturdays. Sounds like the perfect day out to me. I have SO MUCH to look for I would probably need a week, a tent and a very understanding boss – failing all that a Saturday will have to do … :)

Thanks for the info! You’re a wee treasure yourself!

Regards

Vee :D
Milne Reid ABERDEEN

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:33 pm

Hi Vee
Enjoy your day out, when you do it! :lol:
Also, at the top of Victoria Road, so near where you are heading for, is The Old Town bookshop - not the cheapest I don't think, but reasonable, and I've found a few wee goodies in there, I usually pop in if I'm off to SGS....you never know your luck!!

Best wishes
Lesley

David Flint

Post by David Flint » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:05 pm

Hi Vee,
If you Google 'Harold A Steiner' you will find he has also written about the Austin family (his middle name) and a book titled The Old Spanish Trail Across the Nevada Desert. All are published by Haldor which I suspect is his first name jumbled up. He is probably an amateur author publishing privately on his enthusiasms likes lots of old 'uns - he was born in the 1920s. He is probably the Harold A Steiner who shows up in the Las Vegas Phone Book also on Google: <phone number & address removed to protect privacy of a living person. LelseyB> Suggest you try telephoning him or write a nice letter. Like most amateur author / publishers he may well have a pile of unsold copies at home and he would probably be happy to send you a copy if you can agee a method of payment.
David
Researching Janet Reid, poetess of Carnock, Fife, and of Bridge of Allan, 1830s-1850s.

trotterbeck

Post by trotterbeck » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:45 pm

Hi
I have had a look in the LDS library catalogue and they list a copy.

It appears to be on Microfiche or film.
If you have an LDS center near you they may be able to order it.

EDIT

Dundee Scotland
Bingham Terrace
Dundee, Tayside, Scotland
Phone: 44 (0) 138-245 1247
Hours: T-Th 9am-3pm; W, Th 6pm-9pm.
I'm a Cousin - are you? http://www/LostCousins.com

Looking for Beck and Trotter in Hawick and
Roxburghshire

Chris Paton

Post by Chris Paton » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:25 pm

Hi Vee,

Two MacGillivray family researchers who may well have a copy are Jane S. MacGillivray and Roy MacGillivray. Jane has done a lot of work through her Operation Dunlichity project, at http://membres.lycos.fr/ancestor/dunlichity/ , which has basically been a godsend for anyone looking up their MacGillivrays in the Inverness area. She is also the author of The Dunmaglass Claim, looking at the debacle over the succession to the clan chieftainship after the death of the last chief John Lachlan MacGillivray of Dunmaglass in 1852.

The other guru in the world of the MacGillivrays is Roy, who I think has extracted the name of every Scottish MacGillivray in existence from the records, and he could well have a copy too. His website is at http://www.ncf.ca/~cv297/mcg-clan.html .

Both have been extremely helpful and courteous to me in the past, I'm sure they would do a look up for you if they had the books! Their contact addys are on the relevant web pages.

Good luck! :D

Chris
Tha an lasair nad anam aig meadhan do bhith
Nas làidir 's nas motha na riaghaltas no rìgh.