old street names

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

MarionRobertson

old street names

Post by MarionRobertson » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:37 pm

Hi Folks
I wonder if any members can help me I am trying to find out when the street names in Govan Glasgow were changed I am specially interested in finding out when Holmes Street changed to Wanlock Street . I know it was changed by 1936?
I would appreciate any information given hope to hear from someone soon Marion :D

ninatoo

Re: old street names

Post by ninatoo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:34 am

Hi Marion,

From Genuki:

The book "A Guide to Glasgow Addresses 1837-1945", which gives details of street name changes in the city, is available from the Glasgow & West of Scotland Family History Society.

There is a site which states the change occured before 1937-8 and were listed in the Postal Directory for that date:

http://www.douglasbrown.co.uk/stindex.html

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

MarionRobertson

Post by MarionRobertson » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:46 am

Hi Nina ,
Thanks a million I will look into the information you gave me
Marion x

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:44 am

Hello Marion,

This 1927 Glasgow Directory has a Holms Street, Govan, (1927streetlist43.jpg) but no sign of a Wanlock Street (1927streetlist59.jpg). Presumably change was after 1927.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... x-glas.htm

Alan

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:19 pm

This is my favourite site for Glasgow street name changes. http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/info-streetschanged2.html

The street names changed around the early 1930s.

I used to play at the swing park there? :D

Regards,
Annette

MarionRobertson

Post by MarionRobertson » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:13 am

nelmit wrote:This is my favourite site for Glasgow street name changes. http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/info-streetschanged2.html

The street names changed around the early 1930s.

I used to play at the swing park there? :D

Regards,
Annette
Hi Annette
I was contacted by someone on the sunnygovan website and they are sure it changed in 1932. Annette do you come from govan? if so where as you would have gathered I was born at 50 Wanlock Street and I was never out of the swing park I was born in 1954 and we left Govan in th early seventies and moved to Cardonald I am now in Gourock
Marion x

MarionRobertson

Post by MarionRobertson » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:16 am

Currie wrote:Hello Marion,

This 1927 Glasgow Directory has a Holms Street, Govan, (1927streetlist43.jpg) but no sign of a Wanlock Street (1927streetlist59.jpg). Presumably change was after 1927.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... x-glas.htm

Alan
Hi Alan
I was contacted by someone on the sunnygovan website and they are sure it changed in 1932.
Thanks for getting back to me
Marion x

MarionRobertson

Post by MarionRobertson » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:19 am

MarionRobertson wrote:Hi Nina ,
Thanks a million I will look into the information you gave me
Marion x

HI Nina someone contacted me on the sunnygovan website and they are sure it changed in 1932
thanks again marion x

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:55 am

Hi Marion,

I lived at Burleigh Street opposite The Black Man. My mum and dad met while they both had part time jobs at The Lyceum and we moved in 1963 when I was 11. I went to Harmony Row then Hill's Trust.

Govan has changed a lot since we grew up there.

Regards,
Annette

MarionRobertson

Post by MarionRobertson » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:34 am

nelmit wrote:Hi Marion,

I lived at Burleigh Street opposite The Black Man. My mum and dad met while they both had part time jobs at The Lyceum and we moved in 1963 when I was 11. I went to Harmony Row then Hill's Trust.

Govan has changed a lot since we grew up there.

Regards,
Annette
Hi Annette I also went to Harmony Row and Hills Trust Then I went on to Govan High I lived at 50 Wanlock Street we left Govan in 1973 I was 18. Annette from a young age I travelled all over I lived in Canada, Australia and all over Europe and if anyone asked me where I came from I always said Govan even to this day I am still saying it although I just stay doon the watter in Gourock . Every weekend I still visit family in Cardonald and I always say I am going home to gods country. Annette what is your full name? Hope to hear from you soon Marion x